Contact sensor continues to show tampered in app

I had a contact sensor go off offline in my app. In an attempt to check the sensor I pulled off the cover and got a tampered indicator for the sensor. I 've tried to reset it numerous times from the sensor by removing the cover, removing the battery, pressing the tamper button and replacing the battery as I hold it in. After the flashing finishes, I replace the cover but continue to show the tampered indicator in my app for that sensor. What am I doing wrong?

I had this issue with a sensor recently. The cover got hit by someone and was slightly off. I just popped the cover off. Popped the battery out and back in. Checked and it was fine after that. Maybe try arming and disarming the alarm. I know it was saying tampered for a day or two before I did correct it. And my alarm was turned on and off over that time. Maybe it will work out for you.

2 Likes

Mine is doing the same. I have followed reset/remove instructions … it works fine but keeps shoing ‘tampered’. Can someone help please?

Hey @VikasB, happy to chime in here. You’ll want to make sure the cover is snapped completely on for the Contact Sensor to remove the Tampered message from the Ring App. You can also try moving the sensor closer to the Base Station and then removing and replacing the cover to see if it is a distance-related concern.

If that is not successful and the Contact Sensor still reads as tampered, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know what support recommends if you contact them, as it may help other neighbors with a similar concern! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started with scotch tape but it tore with the force I use to close my sliding door.
I thought duct tape was too ugly and did not match the nice clean look of the contact sensor

In the end I designed my own collar to keep the contact sensor in place
Feel free to download the 3D print file here:
Contact Sensor Collar

I printed it in white to match the original Ring look.

-James

IMG_4557 (1) cropped white

3 Likes

I had this problem on my Ring Outdoor Sensor, which was installed on a gate. Since the outdoor sensors were affixed with screws, the plate that touches the gate was pushed in too far where I tightened the screw. This was causing the contact to not engage the cover piece and it thought the cover was not there.

The solution was to unscrew the screw slightly, which allowed the cover to engage the contact and the tampering status went away.

5 Likes

This was the solution I needed! Thanks!

1 Like

Well done Khcarpenter. I was having the same issue with my gate contact sensor, and your suggestion hit the nail on the head. Sensor plate was screwed down too tightly, and when I loosened it up, the tamper error went away.

1 Like