Constant false positive motion alerts

Try turning off advanced motion detection - it worked for me. Going to make a dedicated thread on it

1 Like

Thanks for that J1mmy, turning off Advanced Motion Detection did the trick. Shouldn’t need to and I still think it’s a way of Ring trying to push people into taking out a Protect Plan :rage::rage:

I have been having exactly the same issues. Constant motion notifications and not being able to connect to video.
THIS STARTED THE SAME DAY MY FREE SUBSCRIPTION RAN OUT!!!
This is bull crap ring!!! You guys are trying to force us into a subscription. I’m ripping out all my ring devices and going on a internet tirade.
Just in the time I typed this I got three notifications

1 Like

Gee, funny that you said that. Exactly the same thing happened to me. Ring2 was working fine until my free trial ended. Now I can’t get rid of false motion sensing no matter how I change settings or exclude zones. Big lag in notifications also. Sounds like the only way you can get Ring2 to work properly is to pay monthly fee! Think I’ll be returning mine to Amazon.

1 Like

Hi neighbors, we have sent all comments directly to the team currently looking into this. We can assure you that we are actively working on this. If you have questions regarding Advanced Motion Detection, please refer to Riley’s article. We recommend reaching out to our support team directly so that they can take a look into your concern for you to verify if this is the common issue that we are currently looking into. We will also continue to update this thread with any important information for the future, but please be in touch with support in the meanwhile.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

It’s now been over a :date: year since Ring’s last communication to me and about two years :date: since I first informed Ring about the problem. They promised multiple times that this would be fixed, yet I still often get over 100 false motion alerts a day. Today, I counted well over 350 false alerts and yet Ring still does nothing. And I even pay for the yearly plan, but Ring doesn’t fix it.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :angry: :rage:

Received > 200 alerts today and I still can’t get Ring to respond to me, let alone fix this issue like they promised me that they would.

04/30/2021 I’m having the same issue with no resolution but I’m not surprised. I had trouble with the Amazon fire stick 4k and each previous generation but the issues never gets resolved. Bought the gaming remote for my 2nd Generation fire stick but when i updated to the new 4k my amazon gaming remote stopped working and is no long is supported so its garbage now. Be careful buying tech from Amazon.

Ditto. It’s owned by Amazon, what can we honestly expect? Their “escalation” is surely the “circular file”, just like Microsoft. It used to work fine, they screwed it up and refuse to fix it to force you to buy a new model. Wyze has some really decent cameras that do more for less.

Any update on this over 3 months later and 2 years after you were first notified?

Rest assured, I have (or had) a subscription and it happens to me too. Never did until the warranty ran out.

I can guarantee that I’ve now had over 100,000 false alerts since I’ve installed my ring doorbell > 2 years ago. Ring has promised me multiple times that they’d fix it, but it never has been fixed and not only did they stop responding to my e-mails, they turned off the e-mail support altogether. (I like having things in writing.) As a former programmer (who actually dealt with writing programs dealing with computer imagery), I know how tough this is, but that doesn’t excuse the lack of movement on this nor the lack of response by Ring.

RIng turned off the e-mail support option (but says that we can reply to the thread - Self-Service Tools During Longer Than Usual Wait Times – Ring Help. Since RIng refuses to respond to the e-mail thread, I tried checking on the status of the issue via Chat (so I could have everything in writing) and I still can’t get help. The person just pointed me to “Specialized Support” - the same place this was supposedly for well over a year. In reality, the phone number he gave me was RIng’s general US support number. I gave the person the background on it and he dropped the conversation. If any of my staff did that with a customer, at the very minimum it would be a disciplinary write-up.

PS: About | Ring still shows the help@ring.com as a valid contact address.

Wow, I just started having this problem this morning (6-3-21) on one of three motion detector cameras in my yard. I have lowered the zone area and taken a broom and dusted, moved any possible issues in front of the camera and still won’t stop.

I am also very upset with their service. I spent a long time on the phone recently for another issue and was offered a free one month extension for the recordings. Guess what, it didn’t go through!

Horrible customer service!!! I spent a lot of money on this system. How long is the warranty?

Sad to say I’m having this issue as well. Standing in my front door checking on the first false alarm and 2 more while I’m standing there with not even a leaf moving.

Setting motion settings to People Only Mode helped resolve this issue for me

Go to ring App, Settings> Motion Settings > Set ‘people only mode’ to On

3 Likes

This is also happing with the outdoor motion sensor that I bought because the doorbell don’t kick on until the person has started walking away. I got this so it would kick on before they get to the door. Well motion sensing set to the lowest setting an not facing anything that’s moving and going off for no reason. This just stared a few days ago.

1 Like

What’s really bad is the lack of response by Ring. I’ve contacted them several times and they promise to get back with me. They might even send me an e-mail with the promise, but months go by without any fixes. It’s now been over TWO YEARS of me having this issue.

1 Like

Thank you for the continued feedback on this, neighbors. Our team is always working to improve and add to our features and devices. I wanted to update this thread with the proper troubleshooting steps to ensure for a most efficient motion experience.

We’ve seen neighbors in this thread share success with People Only Mode. As each home varies, the settings that work for you will also vary. While these settings may work for some, your environment may require fine tuning or use of another setting. Our help center article about refining these settings will assist greatly.

Additionally, try to avoid heat sources or reflective surfaces if you are getting too many motion events. Whether too many, or too few, adjusting the Motion Frequency setting can help. For those using customizable motion zones for battery-powered devices, our Community article has some great tips on best use.

Settings are best to check, but not the only solution. Feel free to also check out our mounting and angling accessories at Ring.com. :slight_smile:

If you have covered all the bases of optimizing settings and mounting orientation through multiple configurations to no avail, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring - please stop sending generic responses that do nothing to solve the issue. If you read my posts, you would know that I have gone to support dozens of times over the last two years and have it in writing that there is a known issue with the “People Only Mode” where it throws false positive alerts. I often have 300 a day. The software needs to be fixed and that is nothing the customers can do - it’s up to Ring to take responsibility for its own product.

Searched the web for false notifications and this is the first thread I found but to be honest I can’t see that this was actually answered?!?
This has been happening since 9am this morning, “person detected” every minute.
I’ve done a whole reset and set up the device again and I’ve triggered the bell by pressing it (I’d seen somewhere that may help) nothing has stopped this.
What do I do now? I’ve had no issues like this for nearly a year.