Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
R
User Solution
Connect to new WiFi - instructions don’t work
wifi
connectivity
troubleshooting

I set up a new router yesterday and my Gen 2 ring doorbell is the only device left to connect.

I’ve looked at all the set up guides, instructions in the community etc and nowhere in the app is there a Change Network option under device health. I removed the doorbell and hit the orange button and nothing changed (although the white circle did spin)

So I thought I would remove the device from my app and just reset it up….but no, it now thinks I want to either share the ownership or transfer it. Genuinely have never seen such an intelligent device be so dumb when it comes to connecting to WiFi!!! :person_facepalming:t2::person_facepalming:t2:

So now I don’t have a functioning Ring doorbell just because of a new router.

It will go into the bin unless I can resolve it within the next few days.

Any help would be appreciated.

Literally….all I wanted to do was attach the doorbell to my new WiFi network name.

29-03-2024 11:13:22

Responses (3)

J
User Solution

Hi @Ribzed. I am happy to chime in. If you get a message saying you need to go through an ownership change, it means the account you are using is not the original account that was used to set up your Doorbell. This explains why you were not seeing the option to Change Network; Shared Users would not see this option. I would suggest finding out what account you used to set up the Doorbell in order to connect it to your new wifi without having to wait 15 days. If you were subscribed to a Protect Plan for recordings, the plan would be on the account that was used to setup the Doorbell and would not transfer over if you went through an ownership change.

01-04-2024 06:55:27

R

Thank you Justin! That’s exactly it!

After your message I went and checked my payment history and my last payment was Dec XXXX (our old Ring) and I found an email adding me as a Shared User in Oct XXXX

Turns out my wife set up the account and payment!!

Thank you for chiming in and sorting it out for me!

02-04-2024 12:52:00

J

@Ribzed. I am glad I was able to help. :slightly_smiling_face:

03-04-2024 09:18:58

C

Hi @Ribzed. You should be able to reconnect your Ring Doorbell to wifi by following the steps here. If that doesn’t work, you can try to run through a new setup in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device. Make sure you are still signed into the same Ring account and have the same location selected.

If you’re receiving a specific error message after trying these steps, can you please share a screenshot? It would help to know what you’re seeing on your end in that situation.

29-03-2024 05:09:35

R

Hi. Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately neither of the solutions works.

When I went into Device Health there was no option to Change Network within the Network section. I checked multiple times including when I reset the Ring and there was absolutely no way to change the network.

Also now that I have removed the device I cannot reset it up. It only allows me to ask to share or take ownership of the doorbell.

I scan the code on the back of the ring and those are the only 2 options I have. And it says a transfer will take 15 days.

Genuinely cannot believe that changing the network on a ring device can cause so much of an issue! If I do need to wait 15 days for it to transfer then i won’t have the doorbell any more.

Thanks again

30-03-2024 12:03:35

S

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

03-05-2024 09:19:13

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User