Complaint - Cellular backup

I don’t like to complain, but this has really annoyed me!

This weekend, someone cut the phone line to our property (vandalism), meaning we lost internet completely, as well as the ability to make and receive telephone calls (landline). The Ring App showed that the alarm base station was offline, but yet we never got informed of this by Push, so didn’t know it had been out of action for some time.

We’ve also noticed that the celluar backup hasn’t activated, and doesn’t work - yes we’ve paid for the Protect Plus plan. We also can’t call the UK support line, because it’s closed when we need to reach them, and Ring are no longer replying to email support enquiries, which was most useful when the telephone lines were closed.

When we did finally manage to get through, the person we spoke with said they were open 24hrs a day, and hadn’t been informed that this was any different. Perhaps he lives in a box and is completely oblivious to the fact that Ring have cut the opening hours. Perhaps you should remind staff of your opening times.

I would have submitted a complaint, but since Ring don’t publish any other contact details than phone numbers which aren’t manned, it’s impossible to get the support we need.

I explained to the person who took my call that the cellular backup wasn’t working. He told me to press the reset button on the base station, which I did, and it still didn’t work. He then promised that I would get a call back, with a full explanation as to why the system had let us down - but guess what - nothing!

I explained that whilst I appreciate the alarm may still work without internet, since the building is unmanned, we’d never know if it got broken into, as it wouldn’t be able to let us know! The whole point of us buying this system, is that benefit of being able to be told when there’s a problem in the event that the internet doesn’t work. The whole purpose of this, is not working. We’ve had it since December, and have only just discovered that when needed, the emergency backup doesn’t work! That’s not acceptable.

How do we get a refund for the service? We’re not getting what we’re paying for, and can’t get through to complain!

At the very least, I’d expect to be able to get help when we need it, but we can’t.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this experience, @mike7201. Cellular Backup should certainly initiate whenever power and network is lost. As a reminder, you must be subscribed to a Protect Plus Plan for Cellular Backup to be enabled.

When it comes to connecting on Cellular Backup, your Ring Alarm has an in-built SIM card. We took special care to enable roaming over multiple networks so that if you have poor reception on one network, Ring Alarm will automatically search for and switch to the best available network for cellular backup to kick in, subject to coverage. Ring Alarm doesn’t use a specific carrier, and we have an agreement with O2, Vodafone, Three, and EE in the UK. This means that when signal strength from one carrier is not good enough, Ring Alarm will automatically connect to the best available network.

As long as you have a Protect Plus Subscription for this location, and the Alarm system was purchased in or for your region (UK), the cellular backup should work as intended. Performing a reset on the Base Station could certainly help with this concern. As stated in our help center article, this reset is best done with our support team.

For assistance in reaching our support team, and for a better experience with doing so, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. Our support team will be happy to assist with further troubleshooting steps, or return if desired. As we value our neighbours’ experience, consider this feedback shared with our teams here.