Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
G
Choppy video and audio
hardwired-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell
video-quality
Hi All, A little help please, I have a new Ring VIdeos Doorbell 2 and have been trying my best to improve my wifi signal that the device connects to. I have created a separate SSID and the doorbells signal strength is RSSI-50 (Green) however video still appears to be choppy and freezes at time. It is running off its internal battery. Any way that I can improve this so the video quality improves? Thanks in advance all :)

16-12-2019 09:03:07

Responses (5)

C
Hi there, @GeoStorm. Have you attempted to move your doorbell close to your router, trigger a ding event, and see if the video is still choppy? If it is choppy even next to your router, you may need to reboot your router to refresh the connection. If it works perfectly near the router, you may need to look into getting a [Chime Pro or other options](http://%20https://community.ring.com/t5/General-Questions/Device-Tips-Wi-Fi-Interference/m-p/704#M2) to help your overall connectivity!

17-12-2019 04:46:10

G
Hi @Chelsea\_Ring, I have been able to test this out and achieve a better wifi signal of RSSI-48, I think the problem is that when the ring doorbell detects motion it takes some time to "spin up" therefore missing some of the motion and then freezing for a period of time (secs) until it is up and running, which I see and experience in my recording as choppy video quality. When viewing the video "Live" fee the video stream is smooth and is watchable. Kind Regards

18-12-2019 08:40:57

J
I agree, when it detects motion and eventually starts to record, it’s always choppy and freezes and frame rate it terrible, live is smoother. These things are becoming pointless for security, now I see why they had all these holiday sales, these things are way over priced for this quality. That rssi number appears to be pointless, low 40’s high 60’s quality is the same.

22-12-2019 02:12:08

G
I have tried so many things to try to resolve the video from the motion being choppy, none of them worked, even moving the doorbell next to the router and having an excellent RSSI rating. The own thing I have not tried is to hardwire the power into the ring video doorbell 2, does anybody know if this will help resolve the situation those thinking if there is a permanent power supply to the doorbell then it does not need to go to sleep to preserve battery and therefore will not need to "spin up" when motion is detected as it "should" always be on?

23-12-2019 09:02:21

J
Both of my ring 2 doorbells are hard wired, it makes no difference

23-12-2019 12:29:30

G
So it sounds like a common issue and is not to do with power consumption or WIFI signal strength (RSSI value). Should like this is a defect that needs to be addressed by the development team, how can we raise this directly with Ring Support? and do they even acknowledge this is an issue?

23-12-2019 01:38:16

K
First up, I have 12 of the Ring Doorbells (The second generation, with removable battery, 1080p Resolution). So I am very familiar with setup, troubleshooting and device limitations. Choppy video and audio is a well documented ‘Known Issue’ and all generations of Ring devices experience this. Yes, the common sense advice of making sure you have a strong signal, decent bandwidth and perhaps restarting your router, are all good suggestions. But I have ruled out signal strength and router-reboot as the issue. AND all my Ring devices are hardwired to power. My internet is 958mbps (upload) and 997mbps (download) ... blazing fast. But issue persists. There is a few seconds latency between a motion-event or doorbell-press and your mobile device receiving a push notification. This has always been the case. It has never improved. Peoples comments and frustration about this are all valid and still accurate at time of me writing this (September 14th 2020). The only reason I have continued to use Ring is that (for my purposes) I can live with the latency. But it’s 100% unacceptable for this to still be an issue, especially since Amazon acquired Ring, and all the technical and financial resources they bring to the table. These devices do not do well, what they are supposed to do. And with so many new generations of devices now available it’s an unacceptable reality. It’s either a fundamental hardware issue or Server latency on host side. Because the issue is not on my side, my connection speed (1gig up/down) is mind-blowingly-fast. One recent development I’ve noticed in last few months is video/audio latency (choppy) on playback. After the event has fully uploaded to Ring server. An event will playback 3 seconds, pause 2 seconds, playback 3 seconds, pause 2 seconds. This is a new issue (for me) and extremely frustrating. There is no reason why a video that has successfully uploaded to Ring servers, cannot be played back smoothly if one has adequate bandwidth (which I do, and then some). Even though it would still be unacceptable, I’d be willing to live with the ‘first’ playback of a recorded/uploaded event being choppy, but subsequent playbacks being smooth, if cache were brought into play. But it doesn’t matter how often you replay the event, it will still/always be choppy. This renders the device (in my case all 12) essentially useless. If this isn’t resolved I will be doing a chargeback on my American Express Card for +/- $2400 which is the amount I spent purchasing this equipment. Some direct from Ring. Some from Lowe’s. Some from Amazon. So the short answer to your (and so many other people’s issue) is that there is no solution. This latency is a known-issue that is not on Rings radar for resolution, based on what they have communicated to their client base on the topic, which is ... nothing.

14-09-2020 01:22:40

D
Hi all, i was searching the web and came to this page, i am in the UK and have recently bought a ring doorbell gen 2 and I'm also having choppy live view, I've been through all troubleshooting, got good signal, good speeds, even tried it on 2 ISP's and infront of the modem and it still does it, i can see this post is a couple of years old now and it looks like they still haven't fixed this issue. Support suggest a ring chime pro even though the doorbell has good signal strength and does it infront of modem, i refuse to waste any more money on a chime pro. Did anyone manage a fix for this or is it just that its a poor quality product? There's also a delay from when it picks up motion to recording, sometimes it picks up at the start of the zone, sometimes a metre or 2 into the zone. And an intermittent delay in receiving notifications. I've tried everything and going round in circles with support, might just get a refund.

05-03-2022 01:59:45

G
Same issue here - had ring for years and upgraded to new pro but video is choppy even in live view - door bell is 5 ft from router and hard wired - I did complain and was sent new doorbell but it has the same issues - never had this issue with older models or the 3 spotlight cams I use - very dissatisfied with ring now

10-07-2022 01:43:55

U
The choppy video is solved by turning off HDR. I’ve been dealing with the issue for months now and was given the same guidance provided above. While it seems logical to turn HDR on as it clearly states that it’s supposed to improve video quality during the day, after testing it out with HDR turned off, that solved the problem. Again, this defies logic and why Ring is unaware of the issue is beyond me. Hope this helps others.

29-11-2022 06:13:45

U
This has resolved the issue with lag in the videos and live. Like you said, it makes no sense since this settings is supposed to provide better quality LOL.

24-12-2022 02:18:37

C
Hello neighbors! Video and audio quality concerns could be related to wifi, your mobile device, or variables such as third party apps or devices. Try the following troubleshooting steps: - Check your Ring device's [RSSI](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229#M4), which is a measure of the strength of the wifi connection it's receiving. - Test out the Live View on both wifi and cellular data to see if one connection provides better quality than the other. - Turn off any VPNs if you have any enabled, as the Ring app doesn't support the use of VPNs. - Disable Bluetooth or disconnect any Bluetooth devices connected to your phone as these may interfere with the video or audio. - You can also reset your Ring device by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is complete, set the device back up in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a device. If none of the above troubleshooting tips and tricks help, you can also review our [Audio and Sound Issues Troubleshooting Guide](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050175212-Audio-and-Sound-Issues-Troubleshooting-Guide). Should you need further assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). If you are outside of the US, please visit [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406)to see how to contact support. :)

12-07-2022 10:36:01

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User