Chime Goes Off in Middle of Night

Hello,

We purchased a Chime in the spring for our front doorbell and it worked fine until recently. Our chime will go off in the middle of the night like once every two weeks without having any sort of activity in the front of the house. This is very annoying since the Chime goes off and our dogs start going crazy. We never really had this issue until we started using “special” ring messages for the holidays, but even flipping back to the generic ring noise hasn’t fixed it. Our front door Ring is a Video Doorbell (2nd Gen).

My wife was at home tonight and it is actually the Ring doorbell camera that is going off in the middle of the night.

Hi @bodart3. I suggest checking your Event History to see if this is associated with motion detection. You can find your History in the Ring app or on Ring.com.

No, it is not associated with motion detection, it happens at the exact time that our ring camera goes through health checks. It’s the actual Ring Doorbell and the connection into our house that is going off, though, not the Chime like we previously thought.

Hi @bodart3. Let’s clarify some details here. Which model of Ring Video Doorbell do you have? The device name can be found on the Device Health page in the Ring app. Is your Doorbell wired to an existing doorbell circuit with an internal chime kit? What is the make and model of the chime kit in your home?

The device we have is a Video Doorbell (2nd Gen) and the doorbell is wired to an existing doorbell circuit. The doorbell is connected to a NuTone chime system that goes off every time there is a health check on the ring doorbell, not a Ring Chime. The thing is, when we first bought it we didn’t have this issue, the NuTone doorbell never went off ever, which is why we bought a Chime. It wasn’t until recently that the NuTone doorbell started going off every time the Video Doorbell had a system check.

Hi @bodart3. I am happy to chime in. I would recommend reaching out to our support team to further investigate your concern. Give our support team a call using one of the numbers available here.

Yeah, we tried that already and they basically just sat on their hands and told us nothing. That’s why I came here to try and get some sort of answer.

@bodart3 In previous replies, it was indicated that the Ring Doorbell was chiming in the middle of the night. To confirm we understand properly, you’re saying it’s the NuTone chime kit in your home that is chiming in the middle of the night, correct? If that’s the case, you can disconnect the NuTone chime kit and have the Doorbell (2nd Generation) connected directly to your transformer. In this setup, you’ll need to connect a 25 ohm, 50 W wirewound resistor in series with one of the doorbell wires to protect your Ring Doorbell.