Car cam not ready for prime time

NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

Reviewed in the United States on February 18, 2023

Just received Ring car cam. Spent 90 mins on phone with tech support. (still no resolution) It does not show a recording of my driving. While in Traffic Stop mode it continues to record after you start driving again (its not supposed too) and laughingly THIS IS THE ONLY TIME IT RECORDS WHILE YOURE DRIVING!!
Goes offline after ten minutes in my driveway saying my battery is low. My battery reads 12.3 volts. (It’s a new car) So… It doesn’t record while driving or if someone breaks in my car while parked… FOR $250??? HELL I CAN PICK UP A BRICK FROM MY GARDEN FOR FREE TO DO THAT.
ALSO THEY ARE BEING PURPOSELY DECEPTIVE USING THE WORD “MOTION” DETECTION WHILE CAR IS PARKED/OFF. IT SUPPOSEDLY DETECTS ONLY VIBRATION IF YOU CAR IS HIT (how hard? Who knows but it senses it from the windshield)
AND ONLY DETECTS MOTION IN THE CABIN OF THE CAR IF SOMEONE ENTERS… “WELCOME TO THE RING FAMILY”!!! (not the first time I’ve been lied to by family)

ADDENDUM:
I am now able to see video of my drive. However reading a licence plate is AN IMPOSSIBILITY AT ANY DISTANCE. Comically, the two little lights you can turn on in the cabin at night for live view ACTUALLY MAKE THINGS LOOK A LITTLE DARKER!! (how they got that effect is beyond me) Some times the cam will stay on after car is off sometimes it will shut off in a few minutes…= TOTAL UNRELIABLITY TO COMBAT AUTO THEFT. It doesnt reliably send notifications when there is movement in the cabin. When it does, they are many minutes delayed… About as long as it takes a good car thief to be gone with your car.
You can’t download more that 20 SECONDS of a video at a time. Tech support says, they “hope to be able to resolve that problem in the future”. Many times the downloads don’t go through. Only 2 GB a month??? Maybe the bigwigs at Ring should look into the service they’ve hired because who doesn’t get unlimited data now a days? I WONT BE PAYING ANY EXTRA ON TOP OF THE $60… That’s a deal breaker. Why didn’t they link it to the customers phone service???
FRANKLY WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS, RING SHOULD BE PAYING ME TO ASSIST THEM IN AN OBVIOUS BETA TEST.
How unscrupulous to foist this piece of crap on your “Ring Family”.

It makes you wonder who’s writing these 5 start review???

3 Likes

I have the exact same issues. Product marketing team lied about what it does , or has no idea how it works. Not paying a subscription for junk

2 Likes

I’m so disappointed to read your review. I’m having all the same issues and I thought it was just my car cam but now I realize it isn’t only me.
This is so frustrating. I had high hopes for this cam. I’m honestly thinking about returning it. I did only pay $150 for it but it’s still not worth that much.
If it would only stay running with a full battery it wouldn’t be so bad but it dies 3 minutes after I get out of my vehicle. My car is brand new also.

1 Like

Apparently, it is a waste of our time to post on this forum. Support / engineering does not look at it. When I called support about this problem last week, Tier 2 support had never heard of this issue, contacted his supervisor and he was not aware of the problem either. His brilliant guess was “perhaps his car is incompatible”! Unbelievable that us early adopters are (ab)used as Beta testers for their untested product launches.

1 Like