Cannot set up Stick Up Cam

I have 4 Ring devices that connect without issue, including a range booster, but I cannot get the Stick Up Cam to connect. I have had it for months and have tried over and over again but it has never connected. The step that tells me to go into my phone’s wifi and connect to the Ring network is where I get hung up, as the network never appears. I ended up buying a Chime Pro this week to extend the wifi for the camera. The Chime Pro connected in minutes, the Ring network appeared on my phone. So I plugged in the camera next to it, and the Chime Pro sees it, but the step that tells me to go into my phone’s wifi and look for the Ring network still doesn’t work. The network literally appeared an hour ago for the Chime Pro, but not for the camera which is plugged in directly next to it. What is going on here?

Hi @GiniBean. If you are unable to see the Ring Network on your phones wifi list, your Stick Up Cam might not be in setup mode. You can reset the Cam by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds, then releasing. This should enable it to enter setup mode. Also, make sure you have bluetooth turned off and you are not near any wireless printers, as these can cause interference during setup. I hope this helps!

I had this issue with the stick up cam as well. No matter what I did I could not get it to connect to my home network, or any other network to be exact. Level 2 Ring support stepped in and acknowledged it appeared that a firmware issue caused the connection problem. I ended up going with a different cam. I have heard this has happened before with stick up cams.

2 Likes

So far this has not worked. I have put the camera in set up mode several times over the last few months, where it blinks blue, but it never connects. My phone does not have Bluetooth enabled, and there are no printers nearby.

Hi @GiniBean. If the above steps didn’t seem to help any, you may need to call support as @Mishimoto did. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I have an original “Ring Stick Up Cam - Black” which used to work, it then tried updating itself after which it is exactly the same as the issue described; can no longer connect to the network.

Following the setup instructions it presents it’s WIFI connection, the mobile device connects and then presents the home wifi but no mater what you try the device reports that it failed to connect. Tried manual settings, DHCP, resetting the network/router/ports, reserving a dedicated IP etc etc but no joy.

There appears to be no way past it since it is not possible to actually interface with the device to perform diagnostics or force a firmware version that works. In fact, you cannot even plug the device into a PC/Mac to interrogate it so now it is utterly worthless/useless.

Oh, I should probably mention I’m an IT professional with 30 years experience so if I have missed something then I’d question its suitability for the ‘average user’; better off looking at other cheaper products which can afford to periodically nuke themselves.

Sadly I sat on the device for too long and now have no grounds to return it, warranty long expired. I will not buy another Ring product given they can nuke themselves during firmware updates and render themselves utterly useless which is a shame… it worked okay for a while until it decided to commit suicide.