Cannot delete a group

I have version 3.2.6 of the Android app.

Somehow I have added two cameras to a group “backyard” which now conflicts with the name of one of the cameras. I looked up how to delete a group and it says to tap the Groups item in the app however I do not have a Groups item anywhere except in General Settings for a camera where I can move it to a group.

Hey @wjsuarez. Are you able to create a new group and then move the devices over to that new group? In addition, you can change the name of the device labeled Backyard as well as a work around. This will be done in the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Device labeled Backyard > Device Settings > General Settings > and then changing the name of the device here.

yes I was able to create a new group and move them but I still cannot delete any groups.

Please advise

@wjsuarez Thanks for getting back to me! Can you please take a screen recording of what happens when you try to delete the group?

perhaps you did not see my original post. I do not see the option to access Groups from the main settings page as the instructions indicate. I have no Groups option. I can create a new group from the page where you assign a light to a group but that’s it.

@wjsuarez My apologizes for my confusion here! I see what you mean now. Are you the owner on the account, or the shared user? Please capture a screenshot of what your Dashboard looks like and I can get this reviewed by the appropriate teams to see what could be causing you to miss this Groups area if you are the owner.

Yes I am the owner of the account.

Here is the Settings sub menu

@wjsuarez Thank you for those screenshots! Could you try removing the Ring app from your phone, restarting your phone by turning it off/on and then reinstalling the Ring app? If you do not see the Groups tile from here could I actually get a screenshot of your Dashboard that does not display the Groups tile? This will be a tile similar to the Lights on that you see in the background. The Groups option will be a tile like this instead of a Menu option.

no change and here is the screens hot you wanted

@wjsuarez Thank you so much! I’ll get this information over to my team for us to take a deeper look into this. One last thing, my apologizes for not asking before - what is the phone you’re running the Ring app on and what OS is it running? :slight_smile:

Galaxy S20 running Android 10.

@wjsuarez Thanks for that information! I think we may have isolated what is happening. The Groups feature is a key feature in our Ring Smart Lighting product line. Do you only have Cameras, with lights that you can control? We wanted to allow our neighbors that have cameras to also be able to control the lights in the group, but without a Ring Bridge and a Smart Lighting product with your setup, this is why you do not see the Groups tile. I believe we are aligning the app interference so that this will always say Lights, and not Groups. I hope that clears up that part of this concern!

Now, to address this, you should be able to click on the Lights tile on your Dashboard. This will bring you to a page when you can manage your groups. Could you go into the Lights tile from your Dashboard and see if you can delete this group from here? If you’re unable to, please send over a screenshot of what it looks like in your app after you tap on Groups! :slight_smile:

Still no delete option

@wjsuarez When you click on Backyard where it says no Lights assigned, can you then go into the Settings tab, then click on the tile that says General Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Delete Group? Let me know if this works. :slight_smile:

No, this is the original problem that I reported. There is no way to Delete a group.

@wjsuarez My apologises that we’ve kind of looped back around at this point. From here, it may be best to reach out to our support team for this concern. Could you please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here? We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. They can get this concern reported for us and escalated for future!

Thank you! I had this exact same issue with a Backyard floodlight camera and a Backyard light group. I found the option to delete in Lights > (group i wanted to delete) > Settings > General Settings > Delete Group!

1 Like

Same issue here and frustrating to dig for but this worked! Thanks!! :upside_down_face:

1 Like