Can Ring App Override Do Not Disturb on iPhones?

Has anyone figured out a way to let the Ring App notify you of activity on your own doorbell in the middle of the night while your iPhone is in Do Not Disturb mode?

I know there are ways to allow calls and texts from “Favorites” even though you are in Do Not Disturb mode on an iPhone, but it would be great if I could allow Ring App notifications to get through, too.

3 Likes

I know it’s possible the app from home assistant also has it, but the developer must build this into the app

2 Likes

Not an option yet.

Darn!! Thank you for the reply!

Thank you!

Not sure about the iPhones, but there’s an easy way on Android (version 10)

Settings> App Notifications > Ring >

Select the notification you want to be notified of (and bypassing DND)

Turn on “Igore Do not disturb” at the bottom of the screen

It seems that the list of notifications displayed on this page correlates with the notifications you setup in the Ring app itself.

4 Likes

Thank you! I am not seeing that option at this time on my iPhone. When I go to settings and notifications then to Ring App there is not an option to turn on an “Ignore Do Not Disturb” option. Hopefully an ios update in the very near future…

They used to have that option but they took it off. Tried to call customer service about it but no one could help me. Ever since Amazon bought them cs has gone downhill.

1 Like

Thank you! Worked like a charm!!!

So much for support.ring.com “help”. I found one article that says “yes and here is how”. I found a second that said “No, disable do not disturb”. I guess you choose whichever answer you like.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039406772-Getting-emergency-alerts-in-Do-Not-Disturb-mode

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/210266406-How-to-Troubleshoot-Ring-Notification-Issues-for-iOS-Devices

2 Likes

With an Android phone recently made you can set it to override do not disturb. It’s in the settings for the notification. As for iPhone, I don’t know nothing about them.

Hey neighbors! As @UncleBill stated, there are a couple of answers to this question. When using Do Not Disturb mode on your mobile device, your Ring app will not override it unless you have a Ring Alarm system and adjust the settings to override.

For non-Alarm Ring devices, do not disturb will prevent alerts as outlined in this help center article. If you have Alarm and are wanting the choice to receive emergency alerts with do not disturb mode on, this article provides the steps to change these settings. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

If I was a professional software developer for 40 years, I might understand why Ring chose to provide that functionality for alarms, but not doorbells. Wait! I am a professional software developer with 40 years of experience and I still don’t understand! Dang.

2 Likes

Now that’s funny… but NOT! If offering a security device, ring should have done the work to code this override in the app level, not wait for Apple to implement it like Android did.

Pretty much your option is to get an Android phone because ring isn’t going to fix what Apple hasn’t implemented as a very basic feature of notifications.

The instructions in the article link you provided did not work.

* Steps 3-6 do not exisit in the Ring App on iPhone 8 with OS 13.3.1 (the latest) - Where #3 states to tap Alerts, there is NO Alerts in Settings (IMG_3757-1_L1.jpg).

* On the iPhone under Settings, Notifications, Ring app - there is NO “Allow Critical Alerts” setting above the Allow Notifications setting (IMG_3758.png).

Can this please be addressed ASAP and have the instructions either removed or rewritten, and the problem solved.

Thank you in advance.

Hey @sea0207. Do you have a Ring Alarm system? Allowing the Ring notifications to be bypassed in the Do Not Disturb mode is a feature specifically for the Alarm system notifications.

After looking at your screenshot, it looks like you do not have a section for Alarm Alerts under your settings section in the Ring app, so it doesn’t seem that you have a Ring Alarm system. The “Allow Critical Alerts” section will only show up in the Ring app after you’ve gone to Alarm Alerts > Tap on “off” to turn it on > Then it will take you to your iPhone settings to allow Critical Alerts, and then the option to toggle this off/on will appear in the iPhone settings for the Ring app (shown in the screenshots below). You can also visit our article here for more information on how to configure this for the Ring Alarm.

I have spent an hour following instructions trying to find the “Allow Critical Alerts” button. It now seems that this only applies if you have an alarm, not just a doorbell. Is this right? If so, I wish this had been made clear. Can someone please confirm as all I want to do is hear the doorbell and motion alerts when my iphone is in Do Not Disturb mode.

Thanks

@Paul7 Happy to help confirm for you! Per my last post before your’s, allowing the Ring notifications to be bypassed in the Do Not Disturb mode is a feature specifically for the Alarm system notifications. We did receive some feedback from our neighbors on how this may be confusing for non-Ring Alarm owners, so we went ahead and added a note at the bottom of our Help Center Article here.

Having this for the Doorbell and Cameras is a great idea down the line through! As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

Has Ring solved this issue yet?? This is ridiculous!

Really, it’s ridiculous that this is even an issue.

Not to my knowledge! I don’t see anywhere in either the Ring App or the iPhone Settings that will allow you to do that, yet!