Can I Double NAT Ring Alarm Pro with Faster Eero gateway router?

I’m buying Ring Alarm Pro, but want faster WIFI than eero 6. I have seen the support article re setting up Ring Alarm Pro as an extender, or Double NAT-ing with a non-eero router. But my question is: can I double NAT the RAP with a faster eero router (6E or 7)?

I saw in a support article: "Note: Having two separate eero networks connected via ethernet cable is not recommended. " This gave me pause, but not 100% sure what it means.

So, looking for clarification of what this note means, and whether Double NAT-ing RAP with a faster eero gateway router should work well.

Hi @ukuleleray. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure. Thank you for your patience with me while I look into this. As soon as I find out more, I’ll be sure to let you know.

The big downside of the Ring Alarm Pro is the built in Eero. You can double NAT the device and still get backup internet but then you have loads of hurdles to overcome for any devices you need to control and there is ZERO grandular control of the network settings. You can put it in bridge mode but then you lose all the advantages. I just received my Ubiquity today and can’t WAIT to get rid of this horrid device! I’ve heard there is a way to get the wireless to turn off but if not I’ll just swap out to a regular ring. Suggest you stay away as well. You MUST buy their power pack for backup internet even if you have 1500VA UPS running the device to begin with. And the internal video storage doesn’t mean anything other than loss of certain functionality. You do not GAIN any functions as you should.

Hi @ukuleleray. Thank you for being patient while I researched this for you. I was able to find that yes, you can connect your Ring Alarm Pro in this double NAT-ing configuration. However, due to the Ring Alarm Pro being optimized for the Eero 6, the benefits of double NAT-ing with a newer Eero may be nonexistent. Nonetheless, if this is just something that you’d like to do, it is completely possible with the caveat there may not be an increase to your internet speeds. Feel free to try this out and let us know how it works for you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.