Camera randomly picks up motion

I have recently noticed that my cameras randomly pick up motion. I believe when I first got them a few years ago, they picked up all motion. I am not sure when this problem started.
One is in front of the driveway. It picks up my car coming and going about 75% of the time. It picks up my wife’s car about 10% of the time. It picks up people walking up the driveway about 50% of the time.
I called support and they had me do a reset on the camera which appeared to help but the next day it stopped picking up cars again.
I see a lot of other posts with issues like this on their Ring Doorbell.
Is this just a flawed product that works some of the time?

I think first of all, these sytems aren’t perfect. For the price, they do pretty well in my opinion. Also, are your percentage figures a blend of night time and day time numbers? Another factor is how an object moves toward the camera. Are your objects always moving towards the camera in the same manner? These camera, just like motion based security lights, are more sensitive to motion moving across their field of view as opposed to straight towards them. Lighting is another factor, A bit of ambient light helps to trigger motion alert and recording as the camera does not have to rely on PIR sensors.

1 Like

@ajd58 Also in general the wired/mains powered Ring devices are more effective than the battery powered ones as the way they work with regards to motion detection is different/includes a “wake up” period.

1 Like

The camera is pointed straight down the driveway however the second camera shows the driveway from a side view

These cameras used to always pick up motion. I know because my phone would vibrate with an alert every time I left and came back. One thing I expect is for them to be consistent which they are not. They may pick up my car leaving but not coming back 30 minutes later. They sometimes pick up my wife’s car when she leaves for work at the same time every morning. Mostly it does not detect it. UPS truck came up my driveway yesterday and it did not detect it.

A friend recently purchased two cameras and she has the same problem.

Unless there is a fix very soon, I’ll need to find a better solution.

Hi @ajd58. Would you be able to share a screenshot of your cameras view so the Community can help determine if the position of the camera is affecting the way it picks up motion?

Capture
The camera worked about 90% yesterday. Today it did not see me drive out but it saw me come back. An hour later it saw me leave but did not see me come backup 30 minutes later.

Hi @ajd58. Thanks for sharing this image. From the looks of things, your camera is mounted correctly. I would try making adjustments to your Motion Frequency, as this determines the dwell time your camera has in between recordings. You can learn more about Motion Frequency here. Let me know how this helps.

Thanks for the information. Keep suggesting such informative post. Keep sharing such post.

great people me

I have it set to frequently however that is not the issue. I can come and go and the camera does not capture anything during those times. There are times it should have picked up about 4 or 5 motions in a four hour period but it does not capture anything.
Maybe I need to better understand “heat signature”

@ajd58 Looking at that picture most of the motion will be towards and away from the camera? As mentioned earlier the detection is better across the field of view with PIRs. One suggestion is to try cleaning the camera. The sensors/lens could be dusty or dirty.

2 Likes

Same problem here I’m about to clean mine and change the settings

I’ll try cleaning the lens but since this is so inconsistent that I doubt that will fix it. This morning it did not see my car or my wife’s car leave. It did not see me come back 1.5 hours later. Some days it does pick up my car. It rarely picks up my wife’s car. This is also not an issue with weather or darkness since I leave around the same time every morning and my leaves about an hour later each morning. It is not usually raining so the environment around the cameras are the same.

Where are the ir lights located at on the spotlight cameras i want to tape over them they attact the bugs the spiders build webs and we get dozens of false motion detections if i cover the ir lights clean up the camera area i believe this will stop the 3am wake ups please help and give opinions RING should give us a ir off option tyvm for any help Continuing the discussion from Disable night vision on Ring Pro video doorbell: ir

Ok this is where an electrician told me theWhere are the ir lights located at on the spotlight cameras i want to tape over them they attact the bugs the spiders build webs and we get dozens of false motion detections if i cover the ir lights clean up the camera area i believe this will stop the 3am wake ups please help and give opinions RING should give us a ir off option

infared lights are located and im going to tape the red zone to stop the cycle I will keep you updated

I cleaned the lens and it is still so inconsistent . Unless Ring can tell me how to fix this, I am going to start researching alternatives. The past weekend it seemed to catch less than 50% of activity which is not acceptable.