Black video, Weak connection - all healthy tests

Hi all,

I’ve been having a frustrating couple of weeks with the Ring Pro.

I’ve been setting up a connection to a new dedicated WiFi router (Asus RT-AC59U) instead of the Virgin Media SuperHub 2 as I was having intermittent WiFi issues.

I have a connection to the doorbell, and the phone and chime ring when the doorbell is pressed, so there is full connectivity. The problems start when trying to look at live view and recordings. Live View says the phone connection is weak (full WiFi, same network, tested on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz for both phone and Ring) whether I’m on WiFi or 4G.

When logging into the Ring website, I have video recordings logged but they are all black.

I’m also not getting any motion notifications. I’ve been through all the new mode settings to make sure I have all the notifications active.

It’s been working fine for 6 months, and I changed the adapter from a cheap Amazon one to an official Ring Power Adapter yesterday. This has made no difference. I’ve ruled everything else out - distance to the router is 6 feet and it has a strong connection, phone connection is strong, power is good etc.

All the health checks come back fine - strong WiFi, good power, speed tests show 230Mbit down and 21Mbit up, all other devices are working better than ever on the new router on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the whole network has never worked better - except for the Ring Pro which hasn’t worked for 2-3 weeks on the old or new networks.

There are recordings on the account, including the snapshot photos, which are all black or not viewable.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m currently paying for a service that’s not functional.

Kind regards,

Chris

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community @cfhuk! You’ve certainly covered all the right bases for video to operate as intended. Testing on different wifi frequencies, as well as different mobile device connections was a great step to cover!

If the videos have never shown up on the old or new networks, this help center article about ports and protocols might be of assistance in case the solution is in network settings. As you mentioned this being intermittent, I recommend checking RSSI next. The wifi tests coming back great is excellent for resources, however, signal strength indicators can help to show. Check out our Community post about RSSI, how to find it, and tips to optimize.

Some additional factors to check for on your mobile device, are bluetooth/ VPN (should be disabled) and any apps that might be open in the background, or interfering. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I’ve been having a frustrating couple of weeks with the Ring.
This product was working since 3 years, but after the latest update, the recorderd video seems to be black.
Nothing was changed on my network so I have perfect connection to the doorbell,
and the phone and chime ring when the doorbell is pressed, so there is full connectivity.
The problems start when trying to look at live view and recordings. Live View says the phone connection is weak (full WiFi, same network, tested on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz for both phone and Ring) whether I’m on WiFi or 4G. Also in the Ipad the video is no longer working, but showing a black screen
My RSSI = 60 (I guess it has been always like that)
When logging into the Ring website, I have video recordings logged but they are all black.

I’m getting motion notifications, so all is working fine except the video recording or playback.
I’ve been through all the new mode settings to make sure I have all set correctly.
All the health checks come back fine - strong WiFi, good power, speed tests …
There are recordings on the account, including the snapshot photos, which are all black or not viewable.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m currently paying for a service that’s not functional.

Kind regards,
Johan

Hey @Johans. We actually have a help article that addressing when neighbors run into black videos! Even though you may not have made any changes to your router’s settings, cable companies will tend to push updates to your router, which will sometimes reset certain network security settings. I had this happen a few months back and my Ring devices would not work because of this update! I had to call my ISP and make some changes on my router and firewall settings to revert them back to what they were, and just like that - no more black videos and Live View worked smoothly!

I recommend that you check out our Ring Help Center Article here, which walks you through the changes that need to be made. If you end up contacting your ISP, you can also reference this document here with them, which will give you all the specific information to tell them about ports and protocols that need to be adjusted to allow the Ring devices to function fully. :slight_smile:

Hi Marley,

I had an intermittent connection for a while, working some days without an issue, after leaving the doorbell for a few hours.

Often it only works at night though, as it seems the detection for day/night mode isn’t working and the contrast on the video blows it all out, so instead of a black screen there are just bright white recordings with the odd little bit of detail of the cars on the driveway. You can see from the snapshot function that this resolves as the sun goes down, but it does mean the detection doesn’t function at all.

The main issue now is the days it spends not connected at all. The app says it’s connected, Wifi is healthy, and RSSI is good at 60.

I’ve tried to connect to the 5GHz network and to a guest 2.4GHz network to see if I can resolve it, but despite the unit being less than 3 yards from the router, it never connects due to “Wifi issues”. (On a side note, if it tells me one more time that “Rome wasn’t built in a day” I will go insane).

Even after performing a “Factory Reset” - holding the orange button for 30 - 60 seconds, it still reconnects itself back to the normal 2.4GHz network, which it shouldn’t if it’s had a factory reset. That’s a bit odd.

Anyway, even with all the ports opened up on the router, with it connected and healthy, live view flat out refuses to work, there’s no detection at all, and I haven’t had any functionality out of it for weeks.

Any ideas?

Sorry, a bit more info to add to that last post. Snapshot says “footage is unavailable” even though the doorbell is connected and healthy, also live view always times out with the message “live view ended”. RSSI is down to 59.

Thanks,
Chris

Further information:

I’ve deleted the doorbell from the app, thinking that might be causing issues. Didn’t help.

On the router software, I can see that after every setup “not complete” it is actually connected to the WiFi, on the correct chosen network, but it fails in the app. Now I’ve deleted it from the account as well it doesn’t show, just the chime now shows.

I’ve added so many TCP and UDP ports to the router to open it up it now resembles a sieve. There are no more ports I could open. I’ve even added the doorbell to the DMZ to help, enabled uPNP which I’m not happy about either and literally put the router out of the window so it’s now 5 feet from the doorbell with direct line of sight. Still no dice.

The doorbell regularly shows a blue light at the top of the circle, (capacitor not charging?) but it’s on a new Ring adapter, the old adapter didn’t provide nearly as much voltage and worked fine and the reports in the app were always that the voltage was fine.

When it was connected to the app, the doorbell did ring, but no video has been recorded for the past week. Previous recordings were all white during the day as if the sun was washing it out (same place the doorbell has been fine since August last year), no motion detection, no images in between, just the chime worked and it notified on the app without fail.

How can I return this for a refund? It’s not even slightly acceptable for a £230 product.

Further update as I’ve had no response from Ring Support:

I’ve now completely reset my router to the default settings, after trying to open the ports, give an IP reservation to the doorbell, DMZ the doorbell, turn the firewall off, turn off NAT acceleration, rename the network, try different bands, check congestion, buy yet another power supply (the official £25 Ring one doesn’t provide enough power, the blue LED keeps suggesting).

I’ve managed to connect it back to a new WiFi network, and the app says it’s connected, but still my last live view was from the first of May. Notifications don’t work, ringing the bell doesn’t work, and yet the App says all is fine with an RSSI of 39, good voltage etc.

I’m operating the doorbell next to the router now, still no progress. I’m having to trawl Google for suggestions and still coming up blank.

Can ANYONE at all help?

Hi @cfhuk. Chiming in for Marley here! After reviewing your posts, seeing all the work you’ve done, it seems you have exhausted all troubleshooting you can do on your end. As we are a neighbor to neighbor support forum, I really do appreciate the work you’ve done, and detailing it out here. The steps you’ve taken may be steps other neighbors need to take for a resolution, even if it hasn’t worked out for you.

If you could, since the device is still not capturing recording and working as it should, please give our support team a call here. They can get you over to our advanced support team to see if there is anything else they can see on their end with your personal device and do this deep dive that you are needing and looking for.

If you could, please come back to this thread here to give us a recap of how this call goes! I know you have invested a lot of time into getting this fixed, and will be excited to hear what your resolution is. Hope to hear back from you soon, neighbor! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Chelsea_Ring, thanks for that.

I have now spoken to Sam on the support team and he’s arranged a replacement to be sent out to cover off the hardware side of things.

This may be the issue as it had intermittent connectivity, blown out video recording and odd behaviour before it went totally offline. It might just be a coincidence that I changed out the router and the power adapter at around the same time.

Thanks,

Chris

1 Like

@cfhuk Happy to help steer in the right direction when I can, but really, you’ve done all the work here, so I applaud you to getting to the point of this replacement. I will keep my fingers crossed that it seems to be a coincidental occurrence of events, and hope that the replacement device helps you get back to using your system as you once had! Feel free to let me know here how it goes. Have a great week in the meantime! :slight_smile: