Black Video Recordings - Ring 2

I’ve now received 3 black 40-second video recordings on my new Ring 2. I can see the Live View on my phone. The black recrodings has the Ring logo on it twice, as if it’s a double video. Please help!

I had 3 such recordings today as well.

I am also getting black recordings on Event History recordings…the camera view (smaller picture) shows a live veiw but when I tap on it to go to larger screen live view…I also get a twirling wheel and no picture.

I installed a Video Doorbell Pro today. I have one 40-second black video from a motion event. It also has the “ring.com” logo at the top (normal) and the bottom (weird). No audio either.

This is in the middle of a bunch of other videos that look fine.

1 Like

Same thing as everyone else.

My Ring doorbell cam was working fine, but I dropped it when I removed it to charge up after the battery after it died.

I assumed it was because I dropped the device that I damaged it, but I’m starting to think it might be battery related.

I spent the last week charging it up but still nothing. No ring tone either. After charge I get a faint ring then dead.

It records blackness. So it’s connected to the wifi, but the it’s like someone has covered the lens.

I have a hunch it’s a battery related issue. And based on the one successful result form @Ohio user, then I might have to look into replacing the battery if that’s possible.

Hi @eno! Video connection concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. On your mobile device, try testing video on wifi only, and then on data only, to see if either connection is more efficient. Of course, recordings should not be black if the RSSI is sufficient.

As long as the battery is powering up your Video Doorbell, it should have no issues with powering up the lens. If you feel as though the lens is not operating, or maybe a drop caused damage, I recommend reaching out to our support team for more in depth troubleshooting. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here . We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

@Marley_Ring

I don’t need to reinstall the app as I stream the recordings from from the Ring.com web portal.

There are no power or wifi issues.

1 Like

Thank you for the update @eno! If videos are not playing as intended even through the web portal, try resetting your Video Doorbell. This can be done by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. Once complete, you may have to perform another setup in the Ring app to reconnect your Doorbell. As you mentioned the video worked before, and if there were no changes to the network, video should be working as intended now.

If this concern persists, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile: