Battery draining in 2-3 days

I have a Ring Video Doorbel 2 and when first purchased would last over 2 weeks before needing to be recharged. Now its 2-3 days. I have 2 batteries so its not like one is faulty.

I do not use live view that much and only a few people a day will activate any motion or ring the bell. I have checked all settings and would consider these as standard. Therefore, having the battey drain every couple of days is totally unacceptable. If I was to go on a 2 week, or even 1 week holiday then the product would be rendered useless in its current state.

I understand that the more features RIng add to the doorbell the more these will drain the battery, but the whole point of the product is to have ALL of these on for maximum security. I do not want to compromise with reducing settings.

I also do not feel i should spend £50 on a solar charger, plus the sun is not on the doorbell for most of the day so this may not even solve the issues.

I do not have the option for a hardwired doorbell so am reliant on battery power. 2-3 Days is hopeless. Please help.

Hi,

We also have experienced this recently. We bought our Ring Video Doorbell 2 about 3 months ago. We only use it for the doorbell press / live view. We have disabled motion video. The first time we charged the battery fully, it lasted 2.5 months. The second time (just 2 weeks ago) we recharged the battery fully, it only lasted 1 week. Now as soon as the battery hits about 45%, it drops like a rock after that … within 4-6 hours it’s dead. So, since my issue is close to yours, I’m hoping someone will see this thread and be able to help both of us!

Hopefully we both get this resolved soon.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey neighbors! Thank you for coming to the Community to detail what you have done to try to help your battery life and where it stands now. The battery life you were seeing before where it would last about a month or a few weeks is normal, but the 2-3 days or even a day with very minimal activity (less than 10 events a day), then this is not as it should be. It’s always great to try another battery to rule out a bad battery being the case, but since it seems you both have tried different batteries, I recommend calling our support team for further assistance here.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let us know what happens from your call, as your answer may help the other or future neighbors that come to this thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I called the support team and was advised the doorbell needed replacing. I have a Ring Protect plan so this was done for me immeadiately and I will receive a new Video Doorbell 3 in next few days.

Excellent response from Ring. Thank you.

1 Like

I am grateful for this post. I am experiencing the same issue as well as I am not getting alerts. I had a package delivered and did not receive an alert.
I will contact customer support.

I have exactly the same now. Got my Ring 2 in April/May. It worked fine on the battery up to a week ago (so for 5 Months). After a full charge it now only works for 3 days. I use it on minimal settings (no motion, no snapshots, no live, ring only).

From the Netherlands. I just got my ordered battery replacement to see if that is causing it and will try that first, but it looks like I have the same issue as described here.

I am experiencing the same problems with a new Ring 3 Plus, installed December 2020. I have also purchased a spare battery after experiencing rapid discharge. Both are discharging within 5 days.
Yesterday contacted support (Ali) who insisted that there is no problem with the Ring device, just cold weather.
Never experienced battery discharge problems with my original Ring First Generation.
Currently running my original Ring 1 next to my Ring 3 INDOORS
I shall take screen shots from the device health screens daily.
S far, after only 12 hours - Ring 3 78% - Ring 1 92%
Watch this space.
Peter

I seem to have the same problem!

Have had no issues at all until 2-3 weeks ago. Have always had 2 batteries, so swap approximately once a month.

Suddenly a few weeks ago, each battery now lasts 2-3 days!! Also no low battery warning notifications via the app at all, it simply dies.

Both batteries are the same and prior to this both would last at least a month. This is with approximately 5-8 notifications a day

A fully charged battery was swapped in this morning and it`s already showing 35%.

Nothing else has changed. Anyone got any ideas?

1 Like

I have 2 batteries for my doorbell and in summer I get about 3 days on each battery, but in fall & winter I have to switch them every morning. Even when the doorbell was brand new.
It’s just the cold, it drains all batteries faster.

1 Like

I’ve had same issue. Sensitivity is only on 4, zones are minimal, record time is 15 sec. On my 3rd battery. 1st one lasted a long time, then drained quickly. I ordered the solar power surround frame. Helped minimally. I ordered second battery lasted a long time but after 1st charge, drained very quickly. Now same with my 3rd battery. This is useless without electricity. We travel a lot and it is not trusted/expected to bel dependable. We have since installed blink cameras that use lithium AA batteries and found them to be dependable for several months (at least 5) without changing batteries. No monthly storage fee. You can also communicate with blink. I do not have the doorbell blink. I just use for security. If you don’t have electricity. Use blink. If you do, the ring floodlight is good. I do not recommend ring doorbells unless ring is able to replace your bad batteries. I have 2. To much money to buy those type every 2- 3 months.

Same here. I am on my third doorbell Gen 2 replacement. The original one started draining in a few weeks in May. The replacements drain in a few days. I also have a first Gen one, which lasts several months. I don’t know what Ring did with the more recent generations, but it is rubbish as one cannot Leanne the house for more than a few days!

Hello there…i also have kinda related issue.i bought the gen 2 version of the video doorbell just this yr 2021.it can be wired or wireless and i connect it thru wired but i dont understand, the device says hardwired but it wasnt charging just the other day its shows 95% the next day was 65% and stayed there for almost a day then on the 4th day it went straight to 4%.dont know if the -30c outside made it worse but the thing is it was wired is there anyone know whats wrong?.

Hi @user6723. Yes, the cold weather is most definitely a factor here. This Help Center article here has more information on Cold Weather and your Doorbell.

We too have a Ring doorbell and purchased a second battery. The first one lasted over 3 months! We put the second one (yes ring official one sold on Amazon by Ring…) it was dead after 4 days…not good at all. Now considering getting rid of ring all together and go some a different solution where there arent battery problems as bad as this…

This may be useful to someone, our gen 2 doorbell was fine for ages, lasting for 4/5months then all of a sudden would only last 1 week. Replaced doorbell & had same problem so decided not a battery fault so I turned off router for a minute & switched back on also switched off advanced motion detection, this seems to have solved the problem.

My ring is less than a year old. I have been consistently charging every other weekend. All of a sudden my battery won’t last 48hrs. It kind of came out of nowhere. Hopefully I can get mine replaced since that seems like the fix.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.