Battery draining far too quickly

My battery is draining far too fast the full 100% charge is only lasting the minimum of two days I think there maybe something wrong with it. I have everything on recommended settings and it doesn’t always register someone at my door

Oddly, I just had similar problem. After one year of no issues. I have the 3+. I have it wired. And I got a notification saying the battery was low. I decided to take the battery out. Put it on a charger for about 10 hours. Then put it back. It appears the trickle charge is working again. But it’s only been a day.

that’s why I logged on to this site to see if anyone else is having the same problem.
from my year of experience, I had noticed that it normally goes down to about 87-90% charge, and then it came back up. so i assume that the firmware to start the charge doesn’t really run until then.

This is odd to hear of, neighbors, and thank you for sharing these experiences. A battery charged to 100% should certainly last longer than a couple of days. Keep in mind, the initial setup process and any firmware updates, can drain battery. The use and number of events your Ring device experiences is also a battery drain factor. Fine tuning usage will often help with battery life. I recommend checking out this Community article on battery drain for tips on optimizing this experience.

As you’ve mentioned connecting your Video Doorbells to wiring, here is a helpful checklist that I use when looking to obtain a trickle charge to my battery-powered Ring devices. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

my Ring2 battery went from 100% to 4 % over night - brand new battery - bought the 2nd one beacuase even hardwired the original was draining too fast

We have had our ring doorbell for just over a year. The battery has never lasted more than a few weeks. This past month has been ridiculous though. Every 2-3 days we get the notice that the battery needs to be recharged. We have the recommended settings. Since we are past one year, are we out of luck for a replacement? Could the battery be defective?

Our doorbell is wireless.

Hi there, @jjwoanderson! If your battery draining concern is persisting after checking resources and steps mentioned prior in this thread

This may require a closer look from our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hi,
I have the same thing,
Ring 2.
14 months old.
-55 rssi which actually think pretty poor when only a few feet from a good router.

Lasts 3 or 4 days & this is with motion off & think 1 press a day max over that period.
been like it for many weeks but gradually getting worse.

Actually only just read should last a good few months, even 6.
Mine has never lasted more than a month & that’s with motion off as I realized that killed it even faster. rather defeats the object I guess but I have other security cameras.

I think going to look for alternatives as think will waste my time with CS.
Chat do not do tech support & phoning through took a while & annoyingly using the control center to generate a code (which it did) but always said authorization failed, so does not bode well.
I am very tech minded so know goof signal/wifi/BB etc etc.

Good Evening,

Not sure if this could help anyone but. I think. I have solved. my sudden battery drainaing problem.

Need to check your router/mesh wifi settings (either you have changed / upgraded to a new one OR some firmware did this) but after reading more about it I realised thats signal strength (like 55db etc) is not the issue BUT the Tx strenght. My ASUS router’s 2.4Ghz was set to a performance setting and therefore the maximum. When the Tx power is set to this level it uses a higher watts for more coverage. As a result the way the wifi protocol works is that the device will match the tx power from the router’s access point. And by doing so, it will use more battery. Now I’ve come to realise my phone’s battery was getting down to about 60% at the end of the day vs 80% before this change. I just never really noticed as there was enough battery for the whole day so was not inconvenient.

So taking the example of our ASUS Mesh system, the WIFI settings has a Professional tab and at the very bottom a slider that lets you adjust the power of the Tx, I took it down from the max performance level to the “fair” lower level. This has immediately stopped the draining battery problem.

Sorry if I haven’t explained properly but hope this helps some people.

Here’s the article that gave me the eureka moment to understanding this.

Many thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.