Base station as chime for Ring Doorbell

Hi -

I have a new Ring Alarm system and a new Ring Doorbell. I don’t think I’m going to be able to get power/physical doorbell to the Ring Doorbell. Can I set things up so that the Base Station chimes when someone rings the doorbell?

Thanks

6 Likes

Not the base station, but there is a Ring Chime just for that purpose. I have one and it works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Chime-Wi-Fi-Enabled-Speaker-Doorbell/dp/B011MYEMKQ/

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll buy that if necessary, just hoped there was a way around it. How about the ring going through an Echo?

1 Like

@MJV wrote:

Thanks. I’ll buy that if necessary, just hoped there was a way around it. How about the ring going through an Echo?

The Ring Chime is your only option today. I expect Ring to add further cross-product integration as time goes by . . . but right now . . . get a Ring Chime.

EDIT >> It appears I gave you a wrong answer . . . sorry . . .

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018032731-Doorbell-Announcement-Notifications-Through-Amazon-Alexa

but you may not like the settings you need on the echo, you have to turn on communications, I leave mine on do not disturb.

1 Like

This would be an obvious feature. Not sure how the engineers didn’t think of it. Furthermore, the base station should be capable of completely replacing an existing old-fashioned hardwired door bell system (hardwire power + doorbell button wiring). It seems they have never actually installed this thing in a real house before.

14 Likes

Or… they wanted to sell chimes.

6 Likes

Bumping this thread in hopes of catching a Ring product manager’s eye. This is such an obvious and elegant feature for the Base Station.

6 Likes

Hi neighbors. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

1 Like

This is really stupid. I’m really suprised how bad doorbells from Ring is. The first one I bought should be connected to my hfi, which was really difficult. No one mentioned in the description that you could not just connect it to power. Then I bought one for battery, and then you cannot even hear the bell on the base station? WTf are the developers doing :frowning:

4 Likes

They want all of your outlets

1 Like

While I love Ring and the customer service, this is a major ball drop in their software dev team… The chime is absolutely unnecessary. In fact, I’ll pay the $30 to fund the code push rather than eat more electricity/outlet usage.

1 Like

Says paper no longer exists. Not interested in feature requests anymore? Allowing the alarm base station to act as a doorbell chime seems like a no brainer. Can we get that going?

4 Likes

Hi @reachnoah. Thank you for pointing that out. We’ve recently updated the Ring Community and some of the shared links did not transfer over. I’ve updated the post to reflect the correct link.

If I purchase a video doorbell, can I link it to the alarm base station so it makes a chime when pushed (so I don’t need to buy a separate chime box?) I know the base station can be set to chime when a contact sensor is triggered, so hoping the same option is available for a ring doorbell?

1 Like

Hi @bholding. The Base Station is not capable of making a Chime for your Doorbell.

I noticed that the ring team responds in this thread but they don’t respond in the voting thread that they are trying to push people to. I wonder if they don’t monitor it? Anyway just wanted to let any prospective buyers beware that this feature probably will never come to fruition as it is clear by the timeline, this appears to be a common request and issue since 2017. It is clearly a push to get people to buy extra devices instead of actually servicing them. I am extremely disappointed in the fact this is unavailable and actually didn’t believe it until I saw this thread I actually just thought I couldn’t figure it out. Probably going to head back to ADT where things worked and the customer service was actually available. I would definitely recommend a different security provider than ring they aren’t acting in the customers best interest.

1 Like

This is very annoying. I DONT want another electrical device taking up a plug socket when the base station is right there.

Extra electricity extra cost extra time figuring the stupid thing out. Extra annoyed !!!

I just want to use the base station as a chime. Bet Apple would !

1 Like

Of course the base station could make a sound, triggered by the doorbell, because it has a speaker and already gives audio feedback from my other Ring products. It’s simply more profitable for you to sell a separate chime product. This is not sustainable and I am a disappointed customer.

The Base Station does not chime notifications for any Doorbells or Cameras systems at this time, and only works to give you audible notification for other Alarm Devices. You can purchase a Chime or Chime Pro to give you Doorbell or Camera notifications from our Accessories page here. You can vote on the Feature Request post for this feature here.