Backup internet questions

Hello everyone. I’m thinking about upgrading to the Pro base station for my home because I like the idea of backup internet. What I need to know is how it works. I have a robust configuration here now. Modem->Firewall->Switch->Access Points. How is the backup internet provided to my network? If it’s just broadcasting WiFi on its own, that’s not very useful to me at all. I need it to be able to push data into my network, so ideally it has an ethernet connection that I can route to my firewall and disable any internal WiFi. My firewall can handle the fail-over on its own, but if not, it would have the same effect for the Ring to handle fail-over, I can make the changes on my firewall to accommodate that.

When your power goes out or network loses connection, the Ring Alarm Pro Base Station has backup options in place. During a power outage, the Ring Alarm Pro uses Ring Power Packs to stay powered on. Then, the Ring Alarm Pro uses a cellular connection to provide any Ring and non-Ring devices with wifi.

Note: your devices will not connect to Ring Alarm Pro Backup Internet if you do not have Ring Power Pack(s).

Learn more about 24/7 Backup Internet from our Help Center article.

1 Like

Appreciate the response, but you didn’t address my concerns.

Your Ring Alarm Pro is designed to be the primary router, or gateway, for your home. It should not be added to an existing wifi network. For steps and a visual walkthrough on setting up the Ring Alarm Pro Base Station, check out our Help Center article. and video below.

How do I use Ring Alarm Pro with eero Wi-FI 6 router | Ring

I hope this helps, and feel free to let us know if you have more questions! :slight_smile: