Background data question

Q: If I dis-allow the Ring app from using “Background Data”, will this adversely affect anything other than Rich Notifications when I’m away from my Wi-Fi networks?

Reason I’m asking: Since the latter part of October 2021, I’ve been experiencing a major (unresolved) issue with my limited mobile data being consumed by the Ring app despite being connected to strong Wi-Fi networks (wherever I have Ring cameras) – particularly when using Live View or by accidentally tapping a refreshed cam image whenever turning camera “motion” on/off (8-cams). Lately, much of this data misuse has involved “background data”. Since I’m not able to receive Rich Notifications while on mobile data, anyway, I opted to dis-allow the Ring app from using background data. I’m just wondering whether anything else (consequential) might be impacted by this choice – like firmware updates, etc.

I’m counting on the app Developers to address this longstanding app bug soon as some/both Android and iOS users are being affected.

Me: Android 12 on Samsung Galaxy S10 (issue started when I had Android 11 on same device)

Hi @hi808. Other neighbors that have also experienced this concern have brought it up in this thread here. Our teams have been made aware of this concern and are actively looking into it in order to find a solution. When we have more information to share, we’ll make sure to share it in the appropriate threads. In the meantime, you’re welcome to give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like