Answering the door from apps takes TOO LONG

I have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro and three chimes, but I really acquired this stuff to use with my iPhone or from my desktop when someone rings the doorbell and I’m on the third floor (AmE: fourth floor).

People don’t hang around long in Switzerland if you don’t answer the door within about 20 seconds, and DHL couriers don’t even wait that long.

Now, by the time the signal from the doorbell has gone via USA to come back and reach my iPhone or desktop, five seconds have passed. That, in itself, is already unacceptably long.

How wonderful is it then, when I try to access my device and am told that I have to login? And then, wonder of wonders, I have to wait for an authentication code from Ring to arrive on my iPhone. Meanwhile, the DHL man is in the next village and everyone else has gone home.

I haven’t managed to find out what triggers the requirement to login again.

Is there any way of speeding up this process and avoiding having to login? Installing some servers in Europe springs to mind, though ideally there’d be a Ring server in Github that we could install in our own networks.

Steve

Hi @winnall! Your Ring app should only be logged out if you logged out on last visit or removed all authorized devices in your control center. In addition, as long as you continue to use your mobile apps every 30 days, you will not have to login via Two-Step Verification. Check out our help center article about two step verification for more information.

A great next step is removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your phone. Optimized wifi signal strength and motion settings can always help with accurate and timely notifications. While obtaining desired motion detection can take some trial and error, it can certainly improve alert timing. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi @Marley_Ring

Thank you for post.

When I pick up my iPhone to answer the door, it should just work. Anything else (login, 2-step verification) gets in the way, slows down further an already slow process and is not what I want.

A great next step is removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your phone.

My apps are automatically updated, so they are always up to date. This is clearly not an issue in my case.

Optimized wifi signal strength …

I already have a Ring Chime Pro to address this problem.

motion settings can always help with accurate and timely notifications. While obtaining desired motion detection can take some trial and error, it can certainly improve alert timing.

Are you saying that I have to switch on motion detection to make doorbell response fast? Is there a way of switching on motion detection without recording random passers-by on video? Making video of people just because they pass my house is a gross invasion of their privacy and - here in Switzerland, as well as many other countries - illegal.

Is there a good reason why Ring don’t have servers in Europe? Have Ring ever considered making servers available for installation in homes?

Steve