Android app randomly assigns 5 digit number as sound, thus, no alert sound is played

For several months now, my Ring App on Android will randomly assign the notification sound for door rings to a random 5 digit number. There is no sound named that number, so nothing rings!

I’ve found this on both my Ring App and the Rapid Ring app.

If I set it correctly, it will inevitably change back to the random 5 digit number. I have not identified when it does this per se.

It is a very odd bug and has caused missed rings because there is no audio notification as a result.

Hi @ringone. Thanks for calling this out! Your Ring App should be displaying the correct notification sounds rather than what you’re currently experiencing. There was a similar post about the notification sounds missing on the Android version of the Ring App specifically here. You should be able to find a solution in that thread, but if not, you can reach our support team at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I finally was able to drill down more as to the reason my chosen ring disappears.

The name of the ring tones change within Android. The one I use, Ring - Ding Dong Neu, flips randomly between “Ring - Ding Dong Neu” and “Ring-Ding-Dong-Neu”. I am guessing when the app can’t find the previously chosen named ring tone, it can’t ring. Then when I select the new name, when it reverts back, same issue.