Allow alarm firmware updates when armed

Apparently the base station won’t accept firmware updates if it is armed. Seems like a big flaw… what’s the point of an alarm NOT being armed?
I learned this when I was notified that my base station was offline. Wondering why the cellular service didn’t kick in, I contacted Support. They couldn’t do anything because I was missing a firmware update… which didn’t install because my alarm was armed. (Naturally, I had no idea I was missing updates)
It seems to me that at the very least, we should be warned that our devices are missing updates. If Ring cannot figure out a way to push updates when armed, we should be given control to specify an update window which will turn off the alarm, install the update and re-arm the system.

Yes, I’m sure that’s the case. However, if you leave for vacation, you may leave it in Away mode for a while. Your base station will receive no updates and you will not receive notifications that you have missed updates.

Hi @user20170. Firmware updates for the Base Station do not happen frequently, and any applicable firmware updates will be ready the next time it is disarmed. If you need to wait awhile to disarm the system until you or someone you know is there to watch over the location, it will not hinder the performance of your Base Station. I hope this helps clear things up. :slight_smile:

1 Like