Alexa Routine - Not working anymore to Arm Ring

Hi Guys,

I have routine that, when I say :" alexa, i am leaving" will switch of light and arm ring into Away mode.
Since 1 week, Ring is not able to be armed through routine anymore. Light switch off… but the alarm stay in Disarm.

I have tried to delete and recreate the routine… nothing.
I created a simple test routine with just the Ring arm in Home mode action. It doesn’t work even if i trigger it manually through the test button inside Alexa App.

Is there anyone who’ve had similar issue? What can I do?
It really annoys me. I have also the same kind of routine when i go to sleep to put the alarm into Home mode… doesn’t work either.

When i say, alexa, sync all devices : alexa tells me it cannot connect or control bluetooth devices… i don’t know if that has anything to do with it…

Thanks in advance for your help,
Laurent

4 Likes

Exact same thing. For the last 5 days or so Alexa will not arm the system with my goodnight routine.

Disabled/enabled the skill, nothing. Crated a test routine like you did and it will not arm.

Watching this thread for any help!

3 Likes

I was just able to get the function to work in a routine a different way.

Create a routine and for the action choose “custom” at the top. From there you can type “arm alarm stay” and test it.

Works for me instead of adding the smart home device. No clue why the old way stopped working though, which is irritating

3 Likes

Same exact thing started happening to me this week 10/24. Alexa routine will no longer work by arming home and armed mode.

I double checked all the Alexa routine settings. The option for “Ring Alarm Base arm stay” is enabled.
Nothing has changed.

A direct Voice command to Alexa to arm does still work.

2 Likes

Exact same thing. Noticed a few days ago and thought something wrong at my end even though nothing has changed. Custom action works though but not really convenient.

2 Likes

Ahhh it’s not just me then! I noticed this a few days ago and have just spent an hour trying to work it out. Deleting routines. Trying the customised option. Deleting and re-adding the Ring alarm to the Alexa app.

Nothing

I may put something on Twitter and see what happens

2 Likes

Having the same issue and driving me crazy. First called Alexa and they said to call Ring. Guess what, they are saying it is Alexa’s issue. Been on the phone with them now for 1:15 and they still say it isn’t there issue. They are finally just now saying they will escalate this to another team.

I don’t like the custom option that was mentioned as a fix because it has to be the last action. My goodnight routine and other things work with that being one of the first steps.

They need to get this fixed!

2 Likes

Same thing, I have been trying to figure out why and even reset all my routines and unpaired ring and repaired it and no luck. I hope they fix it soon.

2 Likes

Same here. Good to know it is not just me. Sad to learn that Alexa and Ring teams cannot work together to solve whatever it is they broke, eventhough they work for the same company.

2 Likes

I do have a workaround. I am using the Simple Commands app and connecting that to my ring alarm. Then with Alexa, enable the kloee for SC skill. I did the set up of turning off the alarm or setting the alarm in home mode in the Simple Commands app. Then in Alexa I set up a scenes to do the same. Then in the routine I played that scene and it communicates to the Ring alarm like it should.

Long work around but it works like it used to if I do this. They really should get this fixed.

1 Like

Same issue here. Alexa can arm the Ring if I simply command her to disarm/arm the device, so I know she is connected. However, when attempting to arm through a routine nothing happens (ie I say I’m heading out and she should lock the door and arm the ring… door locks but alarm does not arm). Routines were working fine for many months, just stopped working a few days ago. Super annoying!

2 Likes

Same thing for me, too. I’ve gone back to how it worked before the Ring action was around: Custom action with “arm the ring” as the text. And if you already have a custom action you can add to it by separating the commands with “and” like “arm the ring and is the garage closed”.

2 Likes

Same exact issue here, this only stopped working on routines. Clearly there is an outage or recent issue that caused this. If we make enough noise they’ll pay attention and hopefully fix. I do believe however this is on the Alexa side rather than the Ring side of things.

1 Like

I’ve got the same problem here as well. Does anyone else wonder if this is happening because Alexa Guard Plus went live?

1 Like

Same issue here. Tried removing and re-linking everything. No change.

Hey neighbors. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I’ve notified our teams here to look into this. We’re sorry to hear Alexa is having difficulty controlling your Ring Alarm; rest assured that our team is investigating and working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to ask. For the time being, I’m marking this response as a solution so other neighbors who are experiencing this concern can easily find that we are looking into this. A member of the Community team will update this solution when more information is available.

1 Like

Tried it again last night and it worked again! Will see how it goes tonight! Looks like Ring fixed it!

1 Like

Works again ! thanks ring!

1 Like

I’m still having this issue. It appears Alexa guard no longer responds to the “I’m leaving” command. However if I manually set guard to away, it will correctly trigger ring to arm in away mode. So it appears this is more on the Alexa guard side of things now. Not sure if the people at ring who monitor this thread can connect with their Amazon Alexa counterparts and help with a solution.

Amazon actually called me back today after they told me on Tuesday they would call. Looks like it is all working now like it is supposed to! Glad they fixed it!

1 Like