Alerts when sensor left open?

I have contact sensors on my doors, with summer coming sometimes the Doors are kept open. I want to get an alert when a door remains open door x minutes (10, 15,30mins etc). MyQ garage door does it, wondering if possible with Ring. Open to using Alexa or ifttt. Suggestions?

11 Likes

I’m interested in this as well. Any Alexa or Ring notification for a door sensor left open?

3 Likes

This needs to be addressed. How do we submit an enhancement request? I changed from xfinity home to Ring assuming this functionality exists. I put sensors on my freezers for when the kids leave a door open for 5 minutes and I can’t do it with Ring!

3 Likes

You can up vote it here

alexa or ring will not do it. IFTT, darn if I can figure it out LOL

3 Likes

Hi
You can setup 2 routines with Alexa.
Routine (1) When the Door is opened:
Name: door open
When: For me its the door and the trigger is open.
Anytime: for me is Always
Add action: customized
“Set a timer for 10 minutes”

Routine (2) When the Door is Closed:
Name: Door closed
When: door and the trigger is closed.
Anytime: f Always.
Add action: customized
“cancel timer for 10 minutes”

1 Like

bump.
This still isn’t a feature. Simple feature request goes ignored for year+

2 Likes

Still can’t do this natively on Ring or Alexa. WTF. Did they fire all their developers?

1 Like

I have a possible answer using the Alexa app. If you have Alexa integrated in a way you can see the Ring devices (contact and motion sensors) in Alexa, you can set a Routine to have Alexa monitor and report on an open contact like in a contact sensor attached to a door.

1. Find the section in the Alexa app to create a new Routine.
  2. Name the Routine as appropriate
  3. Find the sensor you want to alert on in Alexa. Contact sensors will show open and closed for alerting options.
  4. Choose the state you want to alert on like contact open
  5. Add the action you’d like Alexa to take. This is where it gets tricky. If you choose a simple sound like a chime, it will only chime once and you may miss the notification. I went to the Alexa skills menu and added an alarm skill (Car Alarm) that continues until interrupted by a voice command on the Alexa device to “stop”. I then chose this under the Skills section in Actions and directed the skill to run on an Echo speaker device, like an Echo Dot. I believe you can also set it to go to your phone with the Alexa app on it but haven’t tested yet.
  6. There is a way to set a delay on the alarm to have it alert after a period of time has passed.

Some caveats

• While it may work on multiple Alexa (Echo) speaker devices, I’ve only been able to set it up on on one Alexa device at a time so far.
  • You can only control the activity on this alarm from that Alexa device. It may be controllable from my phone but haven’t tested.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hey neighbors, at this time there is no option to receive an alert via the Ring app when a Contact Sensor has been left open. Some neighbors have found their own DIY way to accomplish this via different smart home apps, which may work depending on your situation. I’d also recommend adding your feedback and vote to this request from our Feature Request board. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.