Alarm

My ring alarm goes off for no reason. I get an email and it says someone came in through the back door. I don’t have an alarm on the back door. Nor do I pay for the alarm to be monitored. Don’t use it, they sold it to me, really only need the camera. Now it is unplugged. If it goes off again I’m throwing it in the trash. Hate when ppl sell you something when all you needed was the camera. I call, pin won’t work, how do I turn this off. Transfers me and I’m on hold 15-20 min while the alarm is going off. All my apt neighbors aren’t too happy.

@bcrawfo299 wrote:
My ring alarm goes off for no reason. I get an email and it says someone came in through the back door. I don’t have an alarm on the back door. Nor do I pay for the alarm to be monitored. Don’t use it, they sold it to me, really only need the camera. Now it is unplugged. If it goes off again I’m throwing it in the trash. Hate when ppl sell you something when all you needed was the camera. I call, pin won’t work, how do I turn this off. Transfers me and I’m on hold 15-20 min while the alarm is going off. All my apt neighbors aren’t too happy.

Hello @bcrawfo299 ,

You got me scratching my head . . . makes me think about a lot of questions. You do have a Ring Alarm Base Station . . . but was it installed by you, installed by someone else, or like maybe it came already in place of the residence when you moved in? Who sold it to you? I’m assuming you utilize the Ring App for access to the Ring camera?

And do you have other sensors around your residence, either Contact (Window or door) or Motion-detector sensors? But then you received an email (was it really an Email or a text-type Notification that was ‘pushed’ to your App)? Now if you do not have a Door Contact-sensor on your back door, maybe a Motion-detection-sensor was labeled “Back Door.”

Something is triggering the Ring Alarm Base Station if your alarm is going off.

It a pity you don’t like the Ring Alarm system. I own one and love it. I’m going to mention the following, because you said that you, “really only need the camera.” You do not need the Ring Alarm system (intruder alarm system) to use Ring Camera devices (surveillance system) since they are essentially two independent systems that happen to share the same Ring App (although the App’s Alarm Modes of “Disarmed”, “Home”, and “Away” can be used to limit/modify the behavior of the Ring cameras).

If you do not wish to use the Alarm system at all, then use the Alarm Modes on your App, and select the blue “Disarmed” Icon (blue shield with a “X” in it) and your alarm then cannot trigger/siren. You should still be able to use the camera as long as it is not disabled in the “Disarmed” mode. Keep your App on “Disarmed” mode because if “Home” or “Away” alarm modes are later reselected, the alarm is in an armed mode and could go off again.

You can also completely totally remove the Alarm Base Station system and all of the sensors (if you really really don’t want to use it at all, or you don’t even want the alarm to be on your App). First, make sure the Alarm Base Station is plugged-in and online, and then selecting: Main menu (the 3 horizontal lines, upper-left-corner of the Dashboard) > Devices > Alarm Base Station > tap the “Setting” (blue Gear-shaped" Icon, upper-right-corner) > Advanced Options > Unregister Base Station. Now the entire Alarm system should be off your App, leaving only the camera(s). By removing your Base Station this way, you’ve released “Ownership” so that device can be used again later by you or someone you give/sell that device to. All the alarm sensors (Contact/Motion/Fire/etc.) that were attached to the Alarm Base Station can be used later and made operational again by doing a factory reset on each of them and re-attaching them to any Base Station.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045772212-How-to-replace-your-Ring-Alarm-Base-Station

And there also is the possibility of returning the Alarm system components for a refund, depending on how long ago you purchased it and from which vendor sold it to you.

I’m really sorry to hear the alarm system isn’t working well for you. I would recommend you continue to find out why your alarm triggered and solve that issue, and then use it.

You can get additional help by telephoning Ring Support, who can walk you through the system step-by-step to figure it out what’s triggering it:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope you find this helpful :slight_smile:

Hi @bcrawfo299. Your Ring Alarm will only go off when the system is armed to Home or Away mode and a sensor is tripped. Additionally, you will only be notified by the monitoring station if you’ve signed up for the Professional Monitoring. If this is not the case, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.