Alarm Triggered by Tampered Sensor Multiple Times

I have a new alarm setup that has only been operational for approximately 2.5 weeks. So far the alarm has been triggered by tampered sensor (2 different sensors) in the middle of the night. Even though I heard good things about Ring systems, I am starting to regret my purchase. We are already at the point where I have stopped setting the alarm. We had an Xfinity system for over 7 years and never had issues with sensors (Ring sensors are installed on same doors and in same location).

First instance occurred about 1 week after initial installation. At a little after 4 AM the alarm started to go off. After I scrambled to get alarm turn off (and it woke all my kids up) the app noted that back door sensor had been tampered. The next day I did research to determine cause. Based on feedback, I confirmed cover was securely fastened and also removed/reinstalled per instructions to clear fault. The back door is in direct line of site of the base station, so don’t see how potential interference or obstruction as suggested in other posts could be cause. I even armed the system and jiggled the door, kicked bottom of door, etc to try to see how sensitive sensor was and if I could trigger a tampered sensor fault, but everything worked fine.

For the next few nights my 9 year old daughter begged me not to set the alarm again because she was scared it would go off again in middle of night. So only a week old system and I am already not utilizing it because it is not functioning properly. I monitored the app over the next few days and did not notice any tampered notifications, so I got brave and started setting the alarm again at night. Worked fine for a couple nights, then alarm triggered again.

The second time alarm triggered was on my front door at 12:09 in morning. Once again I scrambled to shut alarm off and it woke all the kids up. This time I reviewed event history for sensor in app, it shows Front Door Tampered at 12:09 AM and Front Door No longer tampered at 12:09 AM. Luckily I did not turn alarm back on because sensor went from tampered to no longer tampered multiple times and continues to do so even after taking cover off to reset multiple times.

Is this a common issue with Ring sensors? While I like having an alarm system, it is not worth it if I have to continually worry about a false alarm. We haven’t even turned on the alarm when we leave house because we are worried it will go off. Wondering if I need to cut my losses and just deactivate the system or see if I can return for refund. Any advice you have will be appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi @TMNT. I use the Ring Alarm system to secure my home, so I know the importance of needing to trust it is going to work when you need it to! With that being said, I would contact our support team so they can investigate what might be causing this issue. If there is something interfering with the Z-Wave signal, they will be able to detect that and help you make the necessary corrections. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Just curious if you are still having the same tampered with problem and alarms in the middle of the night did you call the number given? I too am on the verge of trashing the whole thing and going with brinks !!! I live in a community with such hefty fines for false alarms that keeping this system with be so costly it doesn’t make sense to keep trying to troubleshoot

1 Like

Hi there, @Youngladyinashoe. Whenever an Alarm Sensor shows as tampered, it is best to check if the back cover is closed all the way and symmetrically. Please also ensure there is not debris or obstructions in the mounting area to cause this. A tamper message can also show during an update, in which the status should resolve itself once the update is complete.

In addition to the above information about tamper messages, check out our Help Center article about preventing false alarms. If this concern persists, reaching out to our support team using the links above is the best next step. :slight_smile: