Ring Alarm

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring Alarm and Ring Alarm Pro.
K
Alarm recessed sensors
works-with-ring
alarm
app-request
::this is a repost of an earlier reply:: This is a common request when it comes to alarm systems and door/window contact sensors. There are a multitude of recessed z-wave sensors on the market that can connect to the Ring alarm system. For the unaware, a recessed door/window sensor is hidden when the door/window is closed. However, Ring only allows these third party sensors to chime the base station when the door/window is opened. It does not activate the alarm nor does it allow a notification to be sent. It's 2020. There is no need to place a brick sensor on the outside of your door or window. Many potential customers look elsewhere when they discover the only sensor option is obtrusive and aesthetically unpleasant. Ring must allow third party sensors full access or produce one of their own. It's a lost sale over a $20 sensor.

24-01-2020 01:28:54

Responses (9)

M
Exactly this! We love our Ring cameras and we would switch our entire alarm system over when/if they come out with a recessed sensor solution. We are not putting ugly pucks on our doors.

02-11-2020 07:00:46

S
I concur. I just switched from another company to the Ring system, and I am happy with everything except the door sensors. On two of my three doors, I cant use them because they are recessed and open too flush to the frame. there is no space for the brick to mount on the frame and still clear the door. My old system had Z-Wave sensors that are mounted in the door, but I am disappointed that I can not use them to their full effect. I would be fine even if I had to replace them with Ring specific sensors.

09-11-2020 05:04:09

M
Same here. I have 41 windows. Not putting bricks on each one but would install recessed sensors if they were available.

03-01-2021 01:50:50

T
Is it possible to chisel out both sides of the door or window frame and recess the whole sensor and magnet on inside?

05-01-2021 03:52:51

X
Technically yes, but there's one simple problem which results in a lot of hassle with a job like that: you have to be able to remove the sensor again to replace its battery. The way that the sensor installs and uninstalls from the surface it is mounted to is a sliding action on its base, if the sensor is in a socket that is exactly sized for it then this will not work any more at all, so you will have to find your own mounting solution. Second is the tamper switch. Your mounting solution will need to either encompass the sensor in addition to its mounting plate (in which case the tamper switch no longer serves a purpose) or else you will need to install a pin of some kind in your mounting solution that presses on the tamper switch until the sensor is removed from its socket. My recommendation for mounting is as follows: find two drill bits with a diameter roughly equal to the width of the sensor and drill two holes in your frame roughly as far apart as the sensor's length to a depth of the sensor's depth. Drill more holes and or carve out with a chisel and knife between the two until you have a socket that is just sized for a snug fit of the sensor. Remove the adhesive backing from the sensor and place a nylon ribbon behind the sensor so that it pokes out on the top and the bottom, that way you have something to grab onto to get the sensor out again. ADVANCED MODE: Remove the sensor from its housing altogether so you just have the bare circuit board, carve out an appropriately-sized slot into your door fame for it. Solder two leads to the battery terminals and run a wire behind the door frame inside the wall to a 6V DC - DC buck converter. Multiple sensors can be wired to the same converter, but probably not the whole house. Take the high-voltage side of all of your buck converters and wire them to a sealed lead acid battery in a closet somewhere that's kept charged by a simple battery tender. When you're done with that you no longer need to replace the batteries on the sensors ever again, so spackle over their slots, and carve each sensor's pairing number in the spackle.

29-03-2021 07:43:56

G
Fully agree, why not add a recessed sensor to the family of ring sensors, you'd get more customers by giving them more options. It's not like they need to be invented, you just need to offer it. This is the only thing holding me back from switching from my more traditional home security system to a DIY one.

22-03-2021 02:18:19

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User