"Advanced Motion Detection" Reduces Video Length Too Much

• I prefer and deliberately set Video Recording Length to 60 seconds.
  • I enabled Advanced Motion Detection to customize the Motion Zone area.

However, according to the Ring app, with Advanced Motion Detection enabled, “recordings end when motion stops…[and] trims empty footage from recordings”. This is not helpful as it completely negates the Video Recording Length options in Video Settings.

Just because motion in a given frame has stopped does not mean “empty footage” exists and is precisely the reason I set 60 seconds video length. The Advanced Motion Detection selections should ENHANCE the overall experience, not minimize other features.

Please make the Video Recording Length feature simultaneously available with Advanced Motion Detection.

Thanks, Bob

3 Likes

I totally agree! It is very frustrating to have the video recording stop before the owner wants it to.

1 Like

Hi @battmanf16. Thank you for sharing this feedback. I will take this to the appropriate team to review. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve also created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there and link that post you make here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

This is what really is going on ppl:
Ring decided they need to save money on storage of clips in their cloud.
They looked at options and determine that it was a solid solution to re-work the settings on the user side so that if you want any of the advanced motion settings, you have to allow them to throw out footage let ring determine which clips length to use etc, even if you define a length to record. So now, setting up a simple motion zone, something that worked fine before with custom length settings, you also have enable “advanced motion settings” overall, which doesnt need to include the motion zones, but it does NOW, just so they can save money on storage. I promise. So they want to make you choose between more alerts from areas you dont want to detect, or a custom length to record. We all know when a clip starts the video is of useless quality at first for 1-5 seconds, so clipping larger times into smaller ones loses overall quality and usability of the video footage. This is a deliberate degradation of the user experience on the Ring app, so they can save money now, and most likely charge us more in the future to allow some “new feature” where you can once again set length of clips AND motion zones, like it was before with no issues. Pathetic ! Any replies you see on this from Ring stating that there are technical limitations in the platform that require the settings to work this way, that is a lie. Maybe they developed-in these limitations, but they are purely artificial limits placed to make Ring more money at the expense of users. Great job Ring, please raise the prices again too, you know why not charge more cmon guys, get that money!

TLDR: they arent going to fix this, because its saving them millions of dollars…

1 Like

So, is there a way to reduce the length of the low quality footage time at the start of the video? Like turning off “Advanced Settings” or “Smart Alerts”?

Hi @Beechnutt. Advanced Motion Detection does not alter the video quality at the start of the video. Turning off Smart Alerts will only adjust your notifications. Feel free to create a new topic and share an example of the low-quality footage you are seeing.