Advanced motion detection cuts video length too short

Hi

I’ve noticed that if the advanced motion detection is on that the video recording length on my solar battery camera reduces to only 6 seconds. This isn’t anywhere near long enough to be useable. If i switch off the advanced motion detection i get longer recordings, but i am then unable to set the correct zones and therefore i get lots of notifications that i otherwise wouldn’t have received.

Is there a bug or a reason that i cannot set advanced motion detection zones and have video recording at 30 seconds or more?

Thanks

Stew

1 Like

Hi @Stewpot. With the Advanced Motion Detection enabled, have you tried to then adjust the Video Recording Length in the Ring App? You can find steps on how to adjust that in our Help Center Article here.Try swapping the recording length from one option to another and then testing the Camera by triggering a motion alert.

I have tried this before as I prefer the advanced feature but as stated this only has a short recording period and even though you can change the recording length this does not go into effect.

1 Like

Hi @GreeninWigan. If possible can you share an example of the short recording alongside a screenshot showing what setting you have for the Video Recording Length? When attaching this video, you will need to first gather the share link of the video. You can do this by going into the Event History in your Ring App and choosing to share it via email. From there, copy the link that is generated and paste the link in the body of your post. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply.

Same issue. I don’t understand why drawing custom zones now limits the recording length. I guess I need to buy a more useful product from a different manufacturer because there’s no sign that this is being addressed.

1 Like

Hi @user18655 I’m happy to chime in for @Caitlyn_Ring. With Advanced Motion Detection enabled, recordings will end when the motion stops. The amount of time you select for your Video Recording Length represents the maximum amount of time your Doorbell or Camera will record an event, but the recording will be trimmed if motion stops. I hope this helps clarify things.

Hi Justin_Ring, yes you are correct however the point is that when “advanced motion detection” is on, the recording length is not controllable by the user, it is controlled by the motion detection function and that is the problem here.
If someone is inside the detection zone, I want to see what they are doing, even if they subsequently move outside of the zone. Having control of the minimum recording length allows time to respond or capture “useful” video, but this cannot be done unless the advanced function is disabled, which in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, appears to be deliberate. Ring have had plenty of time to fix this user annoyance but clearly, they choose not to.
After many years of putting up with this and other annoyances such as poor video quality and slow camera response and being told that my network is at fault when it is not, I’m buying from another manufacturer a soon as I can afford to.

1 Like

…doorbell camera, just to clarify

shineyhappy -

I just saw this thread and am wondering if “Advanced Motion Detection” could be contributing to the (horrible) problems I am having with motion-created video clips associated with a wired Ring doorbell that is using the Ring E2EE feature.

My first question is… what is “Advanced Motion Detection”? Is there a single setting somewhere in the Ring app with that exact name?

One of the problems I am having is that the Video Recording Length setting is being ignored, resulting in very short video clips. I’ve tried setting the Video Recording Length to 60 seconds, 120 seconds, and Auto – but the setting is ignored in each case.

In my situation, I need video clips to be created as a result of most types of motion (except for insects). Thus, I have Motion Sensitivity set to Max.

I also notice that the Ring app seems to require that you create at least one Motion Zone – so I created one using the entire camera view (which the Camera Motion Zones feature seems to refer to as a “Snapshot”).

It is very frustrating the Ring keeps “breaking” features that worked previously. The current motion-created video clips for this wired Ring doorbell are a real mess – which means they basically can not be used for security purposes. For example, there is far too much missing action within each (very short) video clip to be of much use. (You often have to take a “wild guess” as to what is actually happening at any given point in a video clip – since people/animals/vehicles etc. just keep appearing and disappearing in different locations.)

Frustrated427 -

The Ring phone app (Android phone) has a section on the first page titled “Cameras”. At the top right of my “Front Door” camera window, is a little gear wheel icon.

Opening the icon shows a page with many buttons/tiles at the bottom, one of which is named “Motion Settings”.

Open this and you have a section on the screen named “Advanced Settings”. If you open this, you will see the “Advanced Motion Detection” section. Select this and the next screen describes how “Advanced motion detection makes motion detection better”. At the bottom of the screen is a blue rectangle with the text “With this feature enabled, recordings end when motion stops” i.e. it ignores any recording time you set elsewhere!

I am trying the following:
Back up to the “Motion Settings” screen and there is a “Motion Sensitivity” option. I have increased mine to the maximum setting, it was set by default to around 75%. Maybe this will make it record for a longer period. I’ll let you know.

I’m afraid I can’t help with your other points. I always thought the Ring doorbell hardware was underpowered, i.e. not fast enough to keep up with recording and encoding video frames so it drops the frames instead, which might be what you’re experiencing?

I hope you sort your problem, meanwhile, my doorbell is on its final warning! :slight_smile:
ps I like that “This topic has been solved…” er, no, it hasn’t! It’ll be solved when the user has control of the recording time when advanced motion detection is enabled.

1 Like

shineyhappy -

Thank you taking the time to explain where you found the “Advanced Motion Detection” section in the Android version of the Ring app.

I’m using the iPadOS version of the Ring app. If I select “Advanced Settings”, the only choice displayed on the “Advanced Settings” screen is “Motion Schedules”. (Note: I have not created any motion schedules.)

Obviously, the “very short video clip” problem (as well as the other serious video clip problems I am experiencing) need to be fixed by Ring A.S.A.P. – as they pose serious security threats to people and property.

This topic will close a month after the last reply.

Moderators -

It makes no sense to automatically close a thread a month after the last reply, because there is no implication that any problems that are listed in the thread have been solved.

Having the exact same issie, the product design team at Ring seems to be a joke for not considering this issue raised from the customer perspective.
Especially when it already had complains about this from two years ago as we can see in this topic.

1 Like

We just had the same situation with the floodlight.
Advanced motion detection is on. Without it, the ring picks up every car that passes by. Video is set for 60 seconds.

Last night, in the middle of the night, a car puked into our driveway. We are in a remote area, this is unusual and the exact reason we purchased the ring cam. The video lasted less than 10 seconds because it felt there was no movement.
The case pulled in and parked, turned on a light and there was someone in the car flailing their arms . The video stopped while the person was moving around. I guess it didn’t think it was enough movement to record?

This is a terrible feature and it needs to be fixed. This happens regularly and we can’t fix it. What’s the point of a security camera and paying for service if it won’t record the video for more then a few seconds?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.