Actual Battery Product Life - Not Charge Life

This question is about the actual product life of the battery, not the time it holds a charge…

One of my Lithium-Ion batteries for my Ring Doorbell 2 no longer holds a charge. The product date is February 2018. (And yes, I checked my WiFi connection.)

When plugged into the USB cable, it indicates that it is fully charged. However, when installed into the doorbell, it lasts less than a day and returns an out of charge notice. My 2020 dated battery works perfectly.

What is the product life expectancy of the lithium-ion battery?

Also, could it be a problem with the device itself? Possibly, the internal connections are loose/shorted out and it returns the out of charge message because the power is not flowing correctly? I removed it and examined the battery chamber, it is clean.

Thanx!

That’s about the life expectancy you can expect from a lithium-ion battery, especially considering the rough service life of the batteries used in the devices. Since the newer battery is working fine, that points to a failure of the older battery itself due to aging and nothing wrong with the doorbell itself.

Hi @WorstMan. As @pdeethardt pointed out, since the new battery is working as intended with your Doorbell 2, this shows that the concern was with the original battery and not the Doorbell 2 itself. The life expectancy of the Doorbell’s battery will depend on a lot of different factors, as usage and weather will vary from one neighbor to another. Whenever you have concerns like this, our support team is available to help at one of the numbers available here and they can help ensure your device is working as intended. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: