3.7v Lithium ion batteries in sensors?

Has anyone tried running 3.7v rechargable batteries in the sensors? Tired of buying non-rechargable CR123s.

Common RCR123’s (16340) run 3.7v instead of 3.0v.

If this is an issue there are 3.0v rechargable RCR123’s but the mAh is limited.

Did you end up doing this? Does the 3.7V 16340 work in the RIng alarm sensors? I would want to do this too.

There are almost no options for rechargeables in 3.0V because the current standard lithium ion rechargeables are all 3.7V and the older 3.0V are LiFePO4 chemistry batteries and they don’t make them anymore.

Glad you asked, neighbors! We recommend only using the CR123A battery. This is for various reasons such as a difference in battery life with rechargeable batteries and the difference in how they handle temperature changes.

Keep in mind, the CR123A batteries can last up to 3 years, depending on use. :slight_smile:

I agree with @Marley_Ring

As a storm chaser and weather potter for the NWS and a couple local media outlets; I have a couple weather stations. One at home and one that I have on my vehichle.

They both use batteries, so I thought go with rechargeable to save a buck or two. Wrong was I as, I was constantly recharging them, and going thru new ones like my little one does diapers. The reason is I live in MN and we get some wierd weather. It can be -40 one day and 105 the next (not realy, just we Mnnesotans feel that way sometimes) And it can play havoc on batteries and their life span. So I did my homework and invested in non rechargeable for their use. Less climbing the ladder to change the battries during a cold blizard or in the hot muggy sun.

Now that doesn’t go to say that rechargeable batteries are bad. I use them in my home weather sytems base station. But only cause it’s inside and at a regualar temp as well. Just not on the outside units.

Also from expierence as a Ham Radio Operator and somone that studied PC Repair as a hobby I also learned that even the slightest increase in voltage can damage senstive electronics. I wouldn’t risk it. The cams require 3.0v and even that extra .7v could damage it. Why risk having to replace a $200 camera?

Hi,
Has anyone tried this at all? I’m also interested to know if it works.

Thanks