2nd generation doorbell - does it need a resistor?

The help centre article for the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell (see table in the link below says: “ resistor not needed when hardwiring"

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360045514872-The-difference-between-the-Ring-Video-Doorbell-1st-generation-and-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2nd-generation-

However the instruction manual for the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell (see attached) says at the bottom right on page 13

“If wiring directly to a doorbell transformer, connect a 25 ohm, 50W wirewound resistor in series with one of the doorbell wires to protect your Video Doorbell.”

So which is correct? Does the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell need a resistor when hardwired, or not?

@petery wrote:

The help centre article for the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell (see table in the link below says: “ resistor not needed when hardwiring"

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360045514872-The-difference-between-the-Ring-Video-Doorbell-1st-generation-and-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2nd-generation-

However the instruction manual for the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell (see attached) says at the bottom right on page 13

“If wiring directly to a doorbell transformer, connect a 25 ohm, 50W wirewound resistor in series with one of the doorbell wires to protect your Video Doorbell.”

So which is correct? Does the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell need a resistor when hardwired, or not?

Hello @petery ,

BOTH statements are correct. The key is that when Ring refers to “Hardwiring”, they mean you are connecting to the pre-existing wires that are from your pre-existing house’s indoor wall-mounted chime and the house transformer. The house-bell chime provides electrical resistance to the current.

IF you do not have a pre-existing house-bell-chime, but you desire the benefit of the “trickle-charge”, you can attach a transformer directly (without a pre-existing doorbell) to the Ring Video Doorbell “2nd Gen/2020 Release” but then you need the resistor (since you do not have a house-bell chime that would have provided the electrical current resistance).

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360044324232-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2nd-generation-directly-to-a-low-voltage-transformer-without-a-pre-existing-doorbell

Yes, I can understand your confusion about how Ring uses the term “Hardwired.” Yeah, technically that with or without a physical house-bell, in both cases there are wires physically attached to your doorbell. But when Ring says “hardwired” they mean to the house-bell wires already installed in your house. That is different than a house not having these wires and you are directly attaching to JUST a transformer. Then a resistor is needed as a substitute for the absence of the house-bell chime, for your “2nd Gen/2020 Release”.

Adding to the confusion is that the new Ring Video Doorbell 3 and the “3 Plus” do not need this resistor when directly wiring to a transformer (without pre-existing house-bell chime), due to new internal configuration. Here is a summary for directly wiring a Video Doorbell to a transformer (WITHOUT using a a pre-existing house bell-chime):

• Model “Ring Video Doorbell (1st Gen)” does need a Resistor for Fire Hazard.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 2” does need a Resistor for Fire Hazard.
    • Note: the “Video Doorbell 2” is a discontinued different model than the new “Video Doorbell 2nd Gen/2020 Release.” These two different doorbells are often confused in many posts.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen/2020 Release” does need a Resistor to work successfully.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 3” does NOT need a Resistor.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus” does NOT need a Resistor.

I hope this helps clear up “to resistor, or not to resistor” issue. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for all the info. I have searched everywhere and no answer… i am connecting the new VIDEO DOORBELL WIRED directly
to a transformer (i am removing the old chime). Do i need a resistor?? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi @Steve17. I recommend following the Installation Guide here for the best installation steps, as well as watching our video here that explains the setup for a single Doorbell Wired. It is possible to wire the Video Doorbell Wired directly to a transformer that meets the 10-24 VAC requirement, but we recommend that you have a professional electrician handle it if you are not comfortable with such processes and share the links I gave earlier in my reply. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I tried to get in touch with Ring few times unsuccessfully so here I am looking for some help. WE currently have a hard wired (without chime) Doorbell 2, we are upgrading to a Pro 2. After installing the Doorbell 2 I found out by chance that a resistor was needed as I connected the Doorbell directly to the transformer. the resistor itself is very cheap (50C) but obviously Ring doesn t includes it to make our life more complicated. Now I have been trying very hard to find out definite answers from Ring to see if with the doorbell pro 2 I still need the resistor , no luck!!! I see that Caitlyn_Ring posted some links that again don’t explain well what is needed… and that confusion about hard wiring is absolutely unnecessary… hard wiring means you are getting power supply via wires, weather or not you bypass the mechanical chime it is still hard wired. the installation manual for the pro 2 doesn t mention anything about resistor, so … any definite answer?

Good question, neighbor! For the Video Doorbell Pro and Pro 2 model, you will not need a resistor for installation. Included in the packaging will be a Pro Power Kit, which can be used as a bypass cable for a direct wiring to a transformer. Here is our help center article with steps on how to do so. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hello there! I’ve been trying to find the same answer for the Ring Doorbell 4. I have a transformer but no chime. I contacted support via chat, where they told me to call. When I called I talked to two different support techs that could not answer for me and referred me to the OnTech number which also was a dead end.

Does the Ring Doorbell 4 need a resistor if connected directly to a transformer?

Glad you asked, @Nate_K! As mentioned on the Wirewound Resistor product page at Ring.com, this is only for use with the Video Doorbell (Gen 1) and Video Doorbell 2. All of the latest models of Video Doorbells, including the Video Doorbell 4, do not need a resistor installed. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I am replacing a second generation with a Ring video doorbell 3. If I already have the voltage adapter resistor in the wall, do I absolutely need to take that off the line to the Ring video doorbell 3? Or can I leave the resistor on the line? Would that hurt anything? Thank you.

Hi @MarkJRogers. It is not recommended to use a resistor with a Doorbell 3, and I would not connect it in line with your Doorbell.

Please define “trickle-charge”. How much current does the Ring Video Doorbell 2 actually draw from, say, a directly wired 24VAC transformer? I couldn’t find this in the specifications. Thank you.

Hi @user46907. A trickle-charge is a charge that will slowly charge the battery over time. If there are no motions or live views, you can get around a 7-10% increase in battery level.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.