2 Suggested Improvements

So yesterday our internet went out for a short period of time. Our power rarely ever goes out, even during really bad storms or snows, so usually if the internet goes out it’s because of some construction in the neighborhood. It this case it was a neighbor having something worked on, and they had to reset the internet for just a couple of minutes. During that time, however, my wife called and said that the Spectrum guy was in our front yard doing some really weird stuff which made her a little uncomfortable. I tried getting on and looking at the cameras and, of course, there wasn’t anything because the internet was out. Now I know if the internet is out there is no way to possibly have a live feed option. But it seems like an easy addition that Ring could easily implement would be have a small amount of internal storage so that as long as the cameras have power, they could continue recording when they detect motion as they normally would, and then when internet connection is restored the video could be uploaded. Most of the cameras I have are wired because because at the time I bought them, my logic was that if I don’t have power, then I don’t have internet so the battery cameras would serve no additional benefit with the added con that I have to worry about changing and charging batteries. However I would be more inclined to purchase battery cameras if I knew that they were still recording even when power/internet was down and that I would have access to the video once power/interenet was restored.

An addition unrelated feature that I think could be easily implimented with just a software update to current cameras is a separate sensitivity setting for motion recording and motion alerts. I want my cameras to record EVERYTHING, I don’t care if it’s wind blowing the trees or someone actually coming up to my house. Can never have too much video, as opposed to having your sensitivity too low and missing something important. So I would love to have a feature where I could set the sensitity for recording as high as possible, but then only get notified when it’s “people motion”.

Does anyone else think these are some much needed features or am I just dreaming?

Hey there, @ClemsonSCJ! Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback in great detail. In regards to your thoughts about improved motion features, we are always working to improve on existing features and add new ones. You may find interest in our People Only Mode feature, which will detect all motions but only notify for human-like activity.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

My People only mode says “only get motion alerts and recordings when people are detected”, which led me to believe it will only record when people are detected.

I’m glad you mentioned that, @ClemsonSCJ. Allow me to clarify, as technically you are correct on your initial thoughts of this feature.

For battery powered Ring devices, if you turn on People Only Mode your device will record all events, but usually only send you a notification when a human-being is detected.

For hardwired/ powered Ring devices, if you toggle the People Only Mode on, your device will only record and alert you to human being related events.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

That is essentially the feature that I want, however I’m not sure why the settings are that way. The hardwired devices are the ones I while be more inclined to use that feature since I have the motion sensitivity turned all the way up cause I don’t have to worry about preserving battery life. My battery powered devices are the ones that I have the motion sensitivity turned down to preserve battery.

Also, I only have one battery powered device (stick up cam), and it’s the only one that I’m not seeing the “people only” option.

1 Like

Hi @ClemsonSCJ. As stated earlier, we’ve shared your feedback with our teams here, and I will also be sure to circle back with them on this, to ensure your full experience has been received and considered. :slight_smile:

In regards to your Stick Up Cam battery, as long as that device is subscribed to a Protect Plan, People Only Mode should be available. Keep in mind, the settings flow to enable this is:

• Open the Ring app on your mobile device.
  • Tap the three lines on the top left of the Dashboard.
  • Tap Devices.
  • Tap the device you wish to adjust.
  • Tap Smart Alerts.
  • Toggle People Only Mode on.

If this does not appear, try removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device.