1st gen floodlight camera shuts off before schedule

I have a 1st gen floodlight cam that its lights has recently been found to be off before a pre-set schedule. Currently have it set for lights to come on and stay on from 8pm to 6:30am, 7 days a week. I get up for work weekday mornings to find the light is off from sometime between 12am and when i get up. I deleted the schedule and added it back, same results. It never did this before, going on 2 weeks now. But camera still operates. Tried restarting and adjusting settings, same thing. Any ideas?

3 Likes

Hi @KGR22097. Do you have any other devices Linked to this Floodlight Cam? Are the lights in any Light Groups? Also, ensure that your Ring app is up to date. You can also try resetting the Floodlight Cam by pressing and holding the Setup Button for 20 seconds. Let me know if this helps!

I have exactly the same problem that just started last week. Only my 1st Gen floodlight cams have this problem. Tried recreating the schedule, reboots, they are not in a group.

1 Like

Tom_Ring -

Can you find out if there was a recent firmware update for Floodlight Cam (1st Gen) devices?

Can you also report the Light Schedule problem to Technical Support (since it poses serious security issues)? Some of the symptoms include:

• The problem occurs if a Light Schedule uses the ā€œDusk-to-Dawnā€ option or custom start/end times.
  • Floodlight lights may turn on at the scheduled time, but then turn off many hours early each night. In other words, it is NOT acting like a ā€œtime shiftā€ (time zone) problem.
  • If you turn on floodlight lights manually, you must turn them off manually. In other words, a Light Schedule will NOT turn them off automatically.
  • The problem occurs on devices that are NOT linked. (I have no idea if the problem also occurs on devices that are linked.)

Please note:

• In my case, the iPadOS Ring app version in use is the latest version available from the Apple app store. (It was installed nearly a month ago, which is multiple weeks before the Light Schedule problem appeared.)
  • There are multiple threads/posts regarding this issue on the Ring Community website.
  • The fact that multiple users are reporting that the Light Schedule feature previously seemed to work, then SUDDENLY stopped working properly implies that there was some type of intervening event ā€“ such as a firmware update.
1 Like

Hi @Frustrated427. Iā€™ve forwarded this information to our team and theyā€™d like to take a look into this. For this reason, I suggest reaching out to our support team so, after you have been verified and authorized troubleshooting, the support team agent can look at your specific account information. This will help them gather, properly track and collect necessary information about this concern.

If any other neighbors are having this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Tom_Ring -

In addition to the information in my post above, here are some additional observations:

• If the Start Time and End Time in a light schedule are set to occur on DIFFERENT days (such as turning lights on at dusk one day, then turning lights off at dawn the next day), a light schedule will IGNORE the End Time and shut off the lights MANY hours early. (Iā€™ve woken up at 11:00 pm and discovered that the lights were already off, despite having being on earlier in the evening.)
  • Interestingly, if both the Start Time and End Time in a light schedule occur on the SAME day (for example, if the two times are five minutes apart), the Light Schedule will seemingly turn the lights on, then turn them off approximately five minutes apart.

Iā€™ve tried many troubleshooting techniques, to no avail ā€“ some of which include:

• Using various combinations of ā€œAt Dawnā€, ā€œAt Duskā€, and Custom Start/End Times.
  • Alternately editing and re-creating light schedules (and turning them on/off).
  • Remotely rebooting the Floodlight Cam.
  • Reinstalling the Ring app.
  • Performing the Ring Setup Mode procedure.
  • etc.

Unfortunately, the design/programming strategies used for the Light Schedule feature make troubleshooting unnecessarily difficult (including the fact that the feature will not allow you to create a light schedule that works during daylight hours).

Iā€™ve thought of using the Snapshot Capture feature to determine when the lights turn off ā€“ but, unfortunately, it looks like the longest Snapshot Frequency is ā€œEvery 3 Minutesā€ (and I donā€™t want to exceed ISP data limits).

Can you forward this information to your team?

I am having the same issues. Only with both 1st gen flood cams. 2nd gen turns off and on based on set schedule. Have tried deleting schedule, rebooting, setting up new schedule but it turns on but then turns off within 3 hours of turning on when it should be on all night. Super frustrated. Called support and they had me reboot and set up a schedule in the middle of the day for a few minutes, while I had representative on the phone, and it turned on and off correctly during the dayā€¦.

1 Like

Hi @Frustrated427. Thanks for this additional information. Here in the Community, no one has information to personally identifiable information (PII). This is done to protect your privacy. For this reason, there is not a way for the support agent to link the information you are giving, to a device. The only way they can do that, is if you can call into support and open a support ticket. Once a support ticket is open, the information about your device can be researched. Without contacting our support team, they will only know that a device somewhere is experiencing these symptoms. At that time, the best approach is to contact our support team to open a support ticket so they can look into this concern.

This has happened to my system as well, and a call to Ring Support failed to help. The exact sequence is:

1. Light schedule turns on my 3 outdoor floodlight cams at dusk, correctly;
  2. Immediately upon my selecting ā€œHomeā€ mode on the Ring Alarm, the lights on my two oldest Floodlight Cams turn off. The light schedule for the Floodlight Cams is bypassed somehow. (The third floodlight cam stays on, as scheduled.)
    I then have to turn on and off the lights of the two floodlight cams manually.
    Please fix this! Itā€™s really inconvenient to deal with this each night and morning. Thanks for your help.
1 Like

I am having the same problem too, with my first-gen floodlight. Second-gen works fine.

My first-gen floodlight updated to a newer firmware last month (around 12:30 pm EST); it is currently on version 10.0.18. Previous firmware was version 9.0.28.

Second-gen floodlight is still on version 9.0.28, so I am sure there is an issue with the newest firmware. Please forward this information to your technical team, @Tom_Ring

1 Like

user20851 -

Thank you for taking the time to post your observations.

Interestingly, (manually) turning off the ā€œMotion Detectionā€ feature on the main screen of a Ring Floodlight Cam (1st Generation) also seems to turn off lights that have been turned on by a light schedule ā€“ which is really annoying.

jonypx09 -

Thank you for taking the time to post your observations (and related device firmware information).

How were you able to obtain device firmware installation version/date information? Did someone in Ring Support read you the information over the phone? For example, if I look at the Firmware field on the Device Health screen, all it says is ā€œUp to Dateā€.

Tom_Ring -

Iā€™m happy to hear that no one associated with the Ring Community website has access to the PII for Ring Community members.

However, please stop suggesting I contact Ring Support. Since Iā€™m not a masochist, it would seemingly be extremely ill-advised for me to consider doing so.

If Ring had the appropriate caliber of employees handling troubleshooting tasks (and assuming they were provided with the proper resources and an adequate amount of time to perform their job responsibilities)ā€¦ one would think the Light Schedule problems would already have been fixed.

Obviously, at this point, Ring Community members have already provided so many details on this topic that one would expect that any number of employees in Ring Technical Development (and related departments) would be able to instantly guess the exact cause of the problems and the best way to fix them (without having to access/track individual Ring customer accounts).

Clearly, the inability to control the on/off status of Ring Floodlight Cam (1st Gen) lights (due to Ring app Light Schedule problems) poses a serious security risk, and thus, needs to be fixed immediately.

Exact same problem is happening hereā€¦ Happen to get up at 3am and all lights off on both
1st Generation Security Cameras . Stupid I turn them on when i go to bed and off when i get up.
only problem is when i am not home to do this.
Advise if Ring figures out this problem please.

1 Like

@Frustrated427

You can access the firmware version through Ringā€™s web dashboard. Youā€™ll need to log into your account on a computer and then you can click on the settings for each of the cameras to access firmware information. Iā€™ve attached a sample of my first-gen Floodlight camera settings for your reference.

1 Like

jonypx09 -

Thank you for taking the time to post information on how to display the firmware version for a Ring device, along with a sample screenshot.

Unfortunately, the Ring web app is fairly useless for my purposes, so I rarely access it. Thus, I appreciate the ā€œheads upā€ ā€“ as it might be useful to know the firmware version installed on a device for troubleshooting purposes.

Do you know of any way to display the date/time that a firmware update was installed on a Ring device?

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to know when the device was last updated. The only information we have access is the firmware version and the last time it performed a ā€œHealth Checkā€, which I think just means checking for new firmware.

@Tom_Ring Please forward this thread to the technical team, thanks

1 Like

Same EXACT problem.

Iā€™ve had this installed for several years, with the floodlights being on at night and off in the morning. . All of a sudden it started turning off the lights every night at 10:30PM. If I turn them on manually, they stay on until the end of the schedule and then turn off. I have deleted the schedule, turned off power to the light, setup new schedules, but even with the brand new schedules the light is doing the same thing. I even setup schedules for each hour to have it turn on the light, but that does not work .

Firmware version 10.0.18 - ā€˜Up to Dateā€™
Thanks

1 Like

Hello,

I too am having this exact problem. I have 2 1st gen wired flood lights. Both are on firmware version 10.0.18 firmware. I am simply trying to use the Dusk / Dawn schedule and it they seem to not follow this anymore. I am not sure exactly when this started happening but they certainly worked before. It has been at least a few weeks if not more since I noticed this problem happening. Has anyone had any luck with this issue?

Thanks

1 Like

Same issue here. Have 1st gen floodlight cam. Like others have rebooted, reinstalled app, set a new light schedule, etc. The lights still turn off around 10:30 pm every night. So frustrating.

1 Like