Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
C
Ring 4 Doorbell won’t ‘see’ my 5Ghz WiFi signal
wifi
battery-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell
Hi, So I recently purchased the Ring 4. Setup went without any hiccups until I noticed that it wouldn’t detect or ‘see’ my 5Ghz WiFi signal. With VM on hub 3 200mb down on modem mode connected to a TP-Link Archer C7. It detects the 2.4Ghz WiFi no problem. Connected to this but the RSSI tips 70 sometimes. Between 65 - 70. Seen a ring help page about changing the channel of the 5Ghz above 100. Mine doesn’t go pat 46. Was told by TP-Link that this would be a wifi 6 capable router. Has any one else noticed this with their ring 4 Doorbell? Any help is much appreciated. Cptuk.

13-06-2021 11:57:40

Responses (12)

M
Thank you for sharing, @Cptuk. The Video Doorbell 4 is indeed capable of connecting to a 5 Ghz wifi network, and should be able to for your network, as long as this signal is within range for connection. Bringing the Video Doorbell close to the router is the easiest way to test the range. You may also enter your network details manually during the setup process. When following the reconnect steps in this [help center article](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034825092-How-to-Reconnect-Your-Ring-Device-to-Wifi-or-Change-Your-Wifi-Network), the final screen to choose your home network for connecting will have an option to add a hidden network. Choosing this will allow you to enter the 5 Ghz network information. If these steps did not help, try creating another 5 Ghz network (such as a guest network) with standard settings. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :)

14-06-2021 06:29:23

C
Hi, Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply. Your reply has helped somewhat, although doesn’t completely apply i think in my case. The WiFi password hasn’t changed nor does it disconnect. There is also no special characters in my password. I have attempted connecting to the 5G network again as before, both were right by the router. It doesn’t see it although if i disable my 2.4G network and attempt to set the doorbell up again it still detects the 2.4G. This is even though that signal has been disabled. Weird!?!? It detects the SSID for the 2.4G. This makes me think that what it’s detecting is really the 5G. Maybe? The article I read about the doorbell 4 was in relation to what channel is needed to connect. I read both channel 52 and 100 in two different articles. I will try to post these if i can. I have upgraded my router to the ax 10 on offer at Amazon and was told this supports channels higher than 48. I cannot see this my self and assume it is a restriction either by tp link or something else preventing it going any higher. The video doorbell 4 does work and with the new router has better stronger WiFi, be it not by much but better wifi 6 enabled router with many devices connected. Maybe I’ll be able to crack this stone after some perseverance! Take care, Cpt uk

22-06-2021 12:16:44

M
Hey @Cptuk! Thanks for this update. What's an efficient wifi network in 2021 without some curveballs? It sounds like you are on the right track, and know what to look for here. Changing channel frequencies is a great call. There are so many new routers I'm unsure about your precise model in the Archer series, however, if it has an "ax" mode and you have the option to choose 802.11 b/g/n wifi standard, I recommend choosing the 802.11 b/g/n without "ax". As you disabled the 2.4 Ghz network but still could see a 2.4 Ghz network available, I'm wondering if a beamforming type of router feature might be grouping wifi frequencies. Something that has personally worked for me in the past (not on a tp-link) was checking IP / DHCP features, Firewall/ encryption options, and SIP (packet inspection) related settings. Although I do not believe it to be related, here is our [help center article](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-The-Protocols-and-Ports-Used-by-Ring-Devices) on ports and protocols that might provide some helpful information. Just a heads up; the above recommendations are only hypothesis, but we will always try to help where we can. Our support team also has the option of escalating to advanced support for more in-depth analysis. I hope you find a solution, and if you do, you are more than welcome to share it here. :)

22-06-2021 04:11:52

P
Been looking online as I have same issue, I am not a big fan of ring but already have 3 slow cameras so thought I would stick with them rather than replace all ordered the 4 doorbell only picks up 2ghz! Tried changing channels etc nothing works guess they have not improved that much may as well return this, for anyone thinking of buying one of these check out the reviews on amazon really mixed bag around 40% of people having issues no doubt my review will be the same

04-08-2021 12:01:24

P
Hi, Sorry to jump on this, I have the Video Doorbell 4 too but how do you tell which it is on? I have a VM Hub 4 which is 5Ghz but not sure how to check what the Doorbell is on. Thanks for any help Pali

03-10-2021 06:44:48

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User