Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
T
Fairly major bug/flaw: motion detection almost never catches a 300lb bear!
hardwired-video-doorbell
battery-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
motion-settings

I think I’ve come across a pretty wild (and potentially urgent) flaw or bug. It seems like anything that’s all black doesn’t trigger the motion alerts on the cameras, nor do they record.

There are a few 300-350lb black bears that we have around, and a few times a week they will be walking right outside our house in full view of the cameras, and they aren’t recorded. Just today one walked within 2’ of one of my Ring Doorbells and I only happened to catch it on a snapshot (I have it set to take one every 30 seconds).

With this info, someone who doesn’t want to be detected just needs to wear all black and not have any reflective surfaces, and they can do whatever they want undetected in regards to Ring cameras.

There has got to be some kind of urgent firmware patch to plug the hole on this security issue.

22-12-2023 01:54:15

Responses (1)

C

Hi @The_ChrisBryant. Motion detection on Ring devices is not based on particular colors. Advanced Motion Detection uses a combination of passive infrared (PIR) and camera-based motion detection. We have an overview of how it all works here. I recommend adjusting your Motion Zones and Motion Sensitivity if you find that some events are not being captured.

Please also keep in mind that if you have the Live View open, or another event is currently recording, a new motion event will not be triggered. Battery powered Ring Doorbells also have the Motion Frequency setting that you can adjust as needed. Lastly, there’s the Smart Alerts setting that I’d recommend checking, which can refine your motion alerts. If you need further assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.

22-12-2023 07:24:37

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User