Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
P
6 core doorbell wire (UK) vs. 2 core
hardwired-video-doorbell
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell

My new-ish house has 6 core wire going from the mechanical chime/transformer to the doorbell outside. Only 2 of these are used (orange & white with-orange-stripes.)  

I understand 2 are usually all that are needed, & it’s fine to ignore 4 cables.

Researching different types of Ring (wired vs. battery) I’ve seen some people make use of 4 wires, though. Attached is an example where they have twisted the orange and white/orange together, plus have twisted the blue & white/blue together.

I wondered if using 4 wires can be advantageous?

I had a Ring Video Doorbell that wasn’t getting enough power from my hardwiring, & wondered if 4 wires could deliver more power/be more reliable ?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

11-06-2024 11:47:42

Responses (1)

C

Hi @p0mme. In a typical doorbell circuit, there are only two wires, with one wire leading to the transformer and the other wire leading to the chime kit. When hardwiring a Ring Doorbell, you would attach the wire from the transformer, and the wire from the chime kit to the Doorbell terminals. 

I'd advise against attaching other wires if you aren't sure what they are for, or where they come from. This could cause damage to the Ring Doorbell, or even to the doorbell circuit itself. In this situation, it would be best to consult with a qualified electrician. 

12-06-2024 04:21:58

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User