Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
S
Stick up Cam - stuttering motion in live view
troubleshooting
wireless-security-cameras
I've got 2 stick up cams - wired (cat 5e, PoE). In live view, they both stutter (eg, if a car or person is going by the view will freeze for about 1/2 second, then jump forward, freeze again, etc.). However, if you view a recording of the same type of motion it is fine. To me, that means the camera is working OK. Any others experiencing this? Is there a firmware fix on the horizon?

05-09-2019 12:23:35

Responses (15)

S
Forgot to mention. This happens across all viewing platforms (android phone, iPad, Kindle Fire, Win10 app).

05-09-2019 12:25:03

C
Thank you for that breakdown of your live view observations. A freeze frame, or skipping in a live stream, is often due to packet loss or interference with the network. While [RSSI](https://community.ring.com/t5/General-Questions/Your-Ring-Device-RSSI-Good-vs-Poor/m-p/751#M4) is important it is only half the battle. You will want the RSSI in device health to read better than -50 for optimal performance. In addition to that, please ensure the [router](https://community.ring.com/t5/General-Questions/Improving-Device-Experience-by-Adjusting-Your-Router/m-p/904#M8) being used is up to date, and the speeds you receive from your provider are sufficient for video streaming. Feel free to respond with those details and we will be happy to assist further :)

06-09-2019 06:29:23

S
The cameras are WIRED. Cat5e, 1Gbps network. I specifically highlighted that in my post. What does RSSI have to do with anything?

07-09-2019 01:55:33

S
Also, the recordings are fine, so obviously the camera is operating properly. Seems like it is something wrong with the way live view works. Software? Firmware?

09-09-2019 12:10:26

M
You are correct, RSSI would not be a factor here if these Cams are indeed connected via Cat5e. Please double check that these Cat5e cables are in good condition and are operating other Ethernet enabled devices (I.E. windows laptop) sufficiently. Additionally, a power cycle on the cams might improve video functionality. If freezing persists, please perform a reset by holding the setup button down for 20 seconds. Let us know if this helps!

09-09-2019 10:52:03

S
Thanks Marley. Cat5e cable s are fine ( I tested them - and am a Network/Server IT Consultant). Before I try anything on my end please explain how live view would stutter but recordings (of the same exact events) would be fine. How could that be a network issue on my end? Thanks!

09-09-2019 11:28:56

M
I too have the same issues. When I view a recorded event it stutters at the very beginning. If I download that video and watch it there's absolutely no stuttering. Was thinking about converting over totally from Wise but this is not acceptable because that first second or two could be very critical in catching somebody's face

13-02-2021 03:45:43

S
On phone with Ring support now (after 2 hangups by prior support people). In short - the Live View works FINE on my iPad (iPad Air 4th Gen, 14.6 version), but it still stutters on my Android phone, Windows PC). I was always told by tech support to 'Check your camera connections, wireless network, blah, blah, blah'). I am an IT Consultant by trade so I am familiar with the tech side. My question is - why does the Live View on my iPad NOT stutter. when it does on my Windows program / Android app / Kindle Fire devices? How could it possibly be a camera issue - and NOT an app issue? Sitting here on hold (going on 15 minutes) so that 'Oreheam' (name he gave) can try and get me some type of 2nd level support? Come on Ring/Amazon - LOYAL customer here. HELP!

29-06-2021 11:34:15

Z
I have the same problem. My wired camera worked fine for a long time. One day, my live stream has a frame rate of about 5 seconds per frame. When reviewing the footage, it is perfectly fine so the camera is recording properly, there must be some sort of software fault. Has a resolution been found yet? This topic is dated may, it's now October so I'm sure that's plenty of time for resolution. One can hope ya?

21-10-2021 09:18:25

U
I just bought a stick up cam and was having the same issue out of the box,I was getting ready to repack it and bring it back, then I payed it with my Alexa. After pairing to Alexa the live stream, through the Alexa app, was flawless and the sound seemed much clearer, this has got to be an issue with the Ring app, they really need to get this resolved, I'm sure they are losing a ton of business.

21-11-2021 09:22:20

H
I assume this problem has not been sorted by Ring?? I have several ring cameras and they all do it!! I have set up other makes on camera side by side with the Ring and they were perfect every time. This is such a big problem which many people just put up with, but there is something wrong with these Ring Cameras.

23-01-2022 08:17:17

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User