Ring Alarm

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring Alarm and Ring Alarm Pro.
R
Does the Ring Alarm work without wifi or home internet?
pre-purchase-question
alarm
troubleshooting
I live with roommates and i need an alarm system to make sure no one enters my bedroom when i am not home. I thought of buying a Ring camera, however since those only work if the WIFI is on, it would be very easy for a roommate to disable the wifi/turn off the power and then enter my bedroom. So my questions are: 1. Does this work without wifi/home internet at all times? Does it have its own 3G/4G/5G network? Of course it will be connected to the wifi when i am home. But i will have to turn that off, once i leave my room. Is this possible? Can i turn off the Ring Alarm systems connection to the wifi so that it will rely on its own 3G/4G connection for a few hours while i am gone? 2. Does this work with a battery system, similar like the non plugged cameras? 3. Will it notify my phone whenever someone opened my door? Thank you in advance.

23-03-2023 05:35:26

Responses (3)

C
Hi @ringnoobie123. The [Ring Alarm Security System](https://ring.com/products/security-system-alarm-5) has cellular backup as part of the [Ring Protect Pro](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001671383-General-Information-on-Ring-Protect-Subscription-Plans) plan. However, this cellular backup is intended for use during a temporary wifi outage, as access to settings on your system will be limited during cellular backup. You can't turn the wifi connection to the Base Station off. It will remain connected unless the wifi disconnects or the Base Station no longer has any power. The Alarm Base Station plugs into a standard power outlet, and has a battery backup for temporary power outages, but it cannot remain unplugged indefinitely or the backup battery will drain and the Base Station will lose power. You can receive push notifications when a Contact Sensor, which would be installed on a door or window, is triggered. I'd recommend taking a look through [this overview](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005025306-Ring-Alarm-System-Basic-Information) of the Ring Alarm System to see if it will be the right fit.

24-03-2023 04:19:45

E
Hi @ringnoobie123 In theory it should and in practice it does. However and thats a big howe.. I just had one of my bases offline for about 4 months (not armed). It did make sounds when I opened windows or doors, the entire period. But after 4 months I tried to arm it and the thing went crazzzzy... It didnt start the countdown nor in some attempts to sound the siren, but on other cases it did. I did about 20 tests in the scope of 4 days (again w/o internet) and at the end I gave up and connected it to the internet. Only after several minutes of updating did it return to its normal behaviour. So to make a long story short, it'll work W/O internet but only for short time periods. Hope it helps, and if some knows how to open a support ticket i'd appreciate.

08-07-2023 06:49:05

C
Hi @EranCarmon. The Ring Alarm System is not designed to function properly without an internet connection. Cellular backup is available with a Ring Protect Pro plan so your Alarm can function during temporary wifi outages, though control over the settings is limited under cellular backup. You can reach our support team at one of the numbers [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406#callus) for troubleshooting assistance, though they will also let you know that the Ring Alarm System requires an internet connection.

10-07-2023 07:22:22

S
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

09-08-2023 07:23:12

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User