Yellow light on Ring Bridge?

My Ring Bridge’s WiFi light is always blue.

Whatever the other light is, is Yellow for days, then off for days. Either way it seems to work perfectly (though the only other Ring device I have is a Mailbox Sensor). It’s got an icon that suggests a signal; disabling Amazon Sidewalk did not affect it, so I think that’s not it. What does that light mean, please?

The Ring Bridge Manual is no help, it’s almost completley empty of information.

Hi @coyote. Any chance you could share a picture or video demonstrating which light is yellow? I’d be happy to take a look and check with my team what that yellow light could indicate. You can also reach out to our support team at one of the numbers available here and they can take a look for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Thank you very much for your reply, Caitlyn!

(Sorry I’m just seeing your reply now, I didn’t get an email notification.)

I’m talking about the light that is NOT the WiFi light. (There are only two lights, whatever the other one is.)

And it is not lit today, but here’s a photo anyway.

The Smart Lighting Bridge has two lights, one for connection and one for status. In most cases, your wifi connection (top) LED will be blue to indicate connection, while the status (bottom) LED will often show green to indicate communication with other Smart Lighting devices and more. The wifi light pattern is often solid blue to show that wifi connection is successful, whereas the green light may blink instead. These patterns can change depending on operation, setup, or connection variables. I recommend ensuring all Smart Lighting devices are up to date, connected, and within range of your Bridge. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the reply, Marley!

I have no Smart Lighting devices. The only device I have other than the Bridge is a Mailbox Sensor. Which seems to work regardless of whether the Status (thanks for teaching me the name!) light is off, or Yellow.

So in my case, what does it mean when the Yellow light is on?

1 Like

Do you have any hardwired cameras or Echo devices?

I just did some searching, and the documentation on the bridge is pretty sparse aside from the install and setup instructions. I just did a test with a couple of my smart lights while watching my bridge, and here’s what I observed: when I turned each light on manually, the status indicator turned yellow briefly, then turned red briefly, then went off. Same thing when when I turned them back off. Based on this, my guess is yellow means the system is sending a command to a smart lighting device, and red means the bridge received the confirmation from the device. This could be totally wrong, however.

1 Like

@pdeethardt
Thank you very much for your reply, and for your testing!

Ooops, I forgot to mention that I do have an Echo!

That’s interesting that your Yellow light means the Bridge is communicating with a Smart Lighting device.

I guess it could also have something to do with it communicating with my Echo or my Mail Sensor…but my Yellow light stayed on for a week at a time.

Yeah, I’m not exactly sure why yours would stay on for such a long time unless there was an issue sending the command, or the bridge got hung up while trying to send it and then eventually timed out.

I was also under the impression that the status light should light up green during communication, so I’m kind of confused as to why I’m seeing yellow and red indicators. Another thought I had was that the yellow indicator may have something to do with Amazon’s Sidewalk, where the bridge can utilize your Echo device(s) or wired cam(s) to extend the range of your system. Around mid-January I noticed in my event history that the Sidewalk Adapter was added to my system and my bridge rebooted. I have a Floodlight Cam that supports Sidewalk in addition to a couple of Echo devices, so it’s possible my system is using Sidewalk to link to my various smart lighting devices.

I guess we’ll have to wait for someone from Ring to clarify what the various status indicator colors mean since it doesn’t appear to be documented on the Ring website.

Thank you very much for your reply, pdeethardt!

I thought it might have something to do with Amazon Sidewalk too, which is why I mentioned in my OP that disabling it didn’t affect the light at all.

While I’m curious, it’s not like I really need to know.

Hi there, @pdeethardt and @coyote ! We always value our neighbors feedback, and have been working with our teams to clarify this information. I’m happy to confirm, the yellow light indicator can occur on a Ring Smart Lighting Bridge when it is updating. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Ring Bridge no longer illuminates the status LED when interacting with my smart lighting devices. Do you know if one of the recent firmware updates for the bridge would’ve disabled the status LED? The WiFi connection LED is still functioning as it had in the past; steady on to indicate it is connected and blinking when attempting to reconnect. My bridge is working fine otherwise, but I was just curious about the status LED no longer displaying the various colors when interacting with the smart lighting devices.

Hi @pdeethardt. I checked with my team on this and they confirmed that the LED no longer blinks during normal use. I’m glad to hear that your Bridge is working fine otherwise. :slight_smile:

1 Like