View Cameras if on LAN

I think the ability to view cameras while connected to the LAN with no internet access should be allowed. Obviously it probably won’t be able to save videos, but maybe enable notifications as well.

I just think there should be a way to use the cameras if there is no internet access.

15 Likes

It would be great if ring could make it such that you can still access your cameras and get all the notifications when the is not connection to the internet but LAN is available?
Even if no cloud processing is done

I have been having issues with dropping internet connection and at that point I understand that I cannot have notifications from my doorbell when I am away from home.
Unfortunately this applies to when you are at home as well. That is you are connected your LAN. What’s funnier is that while waiting for the engineer to come (before realising that I would get no notifications) there was a high chance that the engineer rings the doorbell and on no reply he goes away. Ironic. Right?

Ring video doorbell 3

Hi, I think this is a feature request, (but it might be a moan).
The fundamental problem this feature request addresses, is that when there is an internet outage (and there is not an available cellular network as an internet back-up), the ring doorbell 3 is utterly useless. (This is not a local poor Wi-Fi signal issue).
Before anyone mentions “cellular network” in the USA, or “mobile network” in the UK as a back-up, the fundamental flaw in that idea is there are huge areas in all countries where there is no cellular nor mobile network. I live in one of these “no cellular service” areas in the UK.
I have scoured the ring help pages and the ring community website, and cannot find anything on solving this problem. There are references to some products which utilise the “cellular” network as a backup, and there are many discussions about poor local Wi-Fi connections.
There is also the mention of the temporary direct Wi-Fi connection feature during set-up.

It seems obvious to me that when I am at home, and there is an internet outage and the house Wi-Fi router continues working and is providing my internal local house network, that I should still be able to see the live view from the video doorbell. Visitors do not stop visiting simply because the internet is temporarily out. I can still access all my other devices on my local network.
My feature request is therefore – allow the ring app to communicate over a local private network (LAN ) and and provide a simple local live view on the ring app on my mobile phone. Surely this is very easy compared to the current setup communicating with a ring cloud server?
When the internet outage is over, normal operation resumes.

Meanwhile, I think this doorbell 3 is about to be returned to the retailer (vendor). I can appreciate that remote viewing and remote notifications need an internet connection but I am flabbergasted that the doorbell is utterly useless without a permanent public internet connection. The marketing people somehow forgot to mention this.