video recording length

I just noticed that my app now allows me to modify my recording length to 120s for both wired and non-wired stickup cams. Thank you @jennifer_ring and Ring! As other people have mentioned 300s would be nice, but 120s is a vast improvement over 30s.

For reference, my app version is 5.29.1

3 Likes

Hi how do I sent mine to record for 120sec?

How do I set mine to re3cor 120 sec for non-wired?
Thanks in advance

Hi Jennifer can u plz explain to me how I can increase my ring doorbell to record for 120sec on a non-wired?
Thanks in advance!!

Hi neighbors! So glad to see everyone excited to use this feature, and thank you all for sharing your interests with the Community.

To access this setting in your Ring app, open the Menu, select Devices, and choose your desired Ring device. From your Ring device page, choose Device Settings and then Video Settings. Adjust to your preference and save.

Our new Community post by Riley covers this and more! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Marley_Ring I saw that post on the 11th and have been waiting for it to appear on my app (or for other users to confirm). How long does the roll out to all users take? I also donā€™t have the ā€œVideo Storage Timeā€ option.

Is this for Android too or is it only on iOS?

Good question, @estmatic! At this time, the new Video Record Length options are currently available on our battery powered devices only. This feature is indeed available for both IOS and Android users, and is making itā€™s way to all of our neighbors as we speak. If you have not yet received it, keep an eye out for it soon, as well as check the app store for any Ring app updates. :slight_smile:

Why are we not able to change recording times on non battery devices as well?

Also do you have an update on the 24/7 recording option for non-powered devices?

@Petere111 wrote:
Why are we not able to change recording times on non battery devices as well?

@Petere111 , Non-battery devices . . . well, kind of . . . technically yes. :slight_smile: A Stick-Up cam is designed and can used a battery, but the Plug-in Stick-Up cam is the same unit, but just comes with a power cord and the battery compartment is empty. My Plug-in Stick-Up cameras all now have the new Recording-time feature.

@tim137, @RedBone , @estmatic , @Marley_Ring ,

About 5 days ago (Aug 21), a new firmware got automatically downloaded into my Plug-in Stick-Up cameras. Since these are outlet powered (no battery) the default recording-time maximum was 60-seconds. But with this new firmware, I now have multiple-interval-options for my recording time (15-seconds up to 120-seconds)!

Now all my Plug-in cameras are set for a the new maximum of 120-seconds recording length! When I checked my other video devices, this new Video recording option was not available . . . . UNTIL today (Aug 25)! Now my Video Doorbell 2 is also set for 120-seconds! So Iā€™m guessing when a device receives the ā€˜roll-outā€™ for feature, it can vary between device models and your location (Iā€™m located on the east coast of USA).

When this new option appeared, I found it in the ā€œVideo Settingsā€ part of my App, and you have to tap on the ā€˜30-secondsā€™, not on the words ā€œMax Recording Length.ā€ And in every case (for 4 cams), I had to re-attempt multiple times before it finally ā€˜tookā€™ the new selected time (it kept displaying ā€˜Failedā€™). Stubborn cameras I guess . . . or my cameras were in as much shock as I was. LOL, Cameras were ā€˜stubbornā€™ only on the initial set-up with this new feature. After the new time-length finally ā€˜Savedā€™ successfully, I can now change/adjust/save these time-setting with ease.

THANK YOU RING!! Yes Yes! We are very excited! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now, Iā€™m eagerly awaiting for this video option to show up for my Ring Indoor Cameras (which are still at the default max of 60-second length) and these are true non-battery devices .

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@SP94

@Oxbee , @Bklynballer ,

@BruceMM , @Mark113 , @Rockstar ,

@Scadis , @Tinbun73

@HandE , @marty_0802 , @bradonrogers , @marlin1856 , @wringitout , @Jennifer_Ring

, @gabriel4217 , @Maxmillertime , @MsRedStilettos , @bradonrogers , @MichelleT ,

@Nighthawk99 , @TheNewcomer , @BlackBear110 , @tim137 , @dcfox1 , @Tinbun73

1 Like

I am a retired attorney and believe that potential liability, negative public reaction, and misleading marketing tactics will eventually force Ring to expand the recording time as demanded. In fact, I am surprised that a class action lawsuit has not yet been filed. It defies logic that they remain intransigent in face of the overwhelming consensus that the change is an essential safety modification that also addresses the misleading marketing approach undertaken by Ring.

@DELVIAJE wrote:
I am a retired attorney and believe that potential liability, negative public reaction, and misleading marketing tactics will eventually force Ring to expand the recording time as demanded. In fact, I am surprised that a class action lawsuit has not yet been filed. It defies logic that they remain intransigent in face of the overwhelming consensus that the change is an essential safety modification that also addresses the misleading marketing approach undertaken by Ring.

@DELVIAJE ,

Donā€™t understand what you are saying.

Ring has expanded the recording time.

Please read the entire thread, especially the latest posts 08-21-2020 (4 days before you wrote your post).

1 Like

@Marley_Ring @Jennifer_Ring or some other moderator, maybe you could change the accepted solution for this thread? Iā€™m not really sure why that post was ever marked as a ā€œsolutionā€ since it seems to ignore the original question. Maybe modify that post or pick another one since the feature has now been implemented, at least for the battery cams.

P.S. Any idea why my user name tags donā€™t work? I donā€™t seem to have the option. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

@estmatic wrote:

@Marley_Ring @Jennifer_Ring or some other moderator, maybe you could change the accepted solution for this thread? Iā€™m not really sure why that post was ever marked as a ā€œsolutionā€ since it seems to ignore the original question. Maybe modify that post or pick another one since the feature has now been implemented, at least for the battery cams.

P.S. Any idea why my user name tags donā€™t work? I donā€™t seem to have the option.

Yes! An excellent idea @estmatic , to change from the previous old ā€œAccepted Solutionā€ in this this thread, to the newer and more accurate ā€œAccepted Solutionā€ !!!

It would help reduce any future confusion.

@Marley_Ring , @Jennifer_Ring , or @Riley_Ring Community Managers, is this possible and can you adjust/change the ā€œAccepted Solutionā€?

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047386552-Understanding-Video-Recording-Length-

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Device-Tips-and-How-To-s/Choosing-Your-Video-Record-Length/ba-p/52620

P.S. @estmatic , the instruction for the People-tagging method (link below) does not work for me either. So instead, I just ā€œCopy & Pasteā€ the name-tags, or use the ā€œQuoteā€ button, to achieve the people-tagging effect:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Community/How-To-Tag-Someone-in-a-Post/m-p/626

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Excited to share our new feature of Choosing Your Video Record Length ! @Riley_Ring wrote a great piece on the new feature that includes details on the roll out ( it is **slow rolling out, we appreciate your patience while we work to get it to all our neighbors and their devices!), **new video record lengths, and more! Thanks to @Boone & @estmatic, Iā€™ll be accepting this post as the ā€œAccepted Solutionsā€ to help neighbors find more information on this new feature (great idea :smiley: ). Please let us know if you have any questions!

3 Likes

Right now it seems very limited in devices such as doorbell and stickup cam battery only. What I would really love is the spotlight cams and floodlights as well as stickup cams that are powered. When will we see these?

@Boone (or anyone else that has the feature enabled) could you verify that you are actually getting the longer videos? I switched my camera to record for 120 seconds but they only end up being 42 seconds long. This is NOT due to the motion verification/stop feature. Iā€™ve tried it with that feature off and on and it makes no difference for me.

See this other thread for a more detailed explanation and video:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/bug-with-new-recording-length-options/td-p/55389/jump-to/first-unread-message

Tįŗ”i sao bįŗ”n đăng thĆ“ng tin cĆ” nhĆ¢n trĆŖn Ä‘Ć¢y?

@estmatic wrote:

@Boone (or anyone else that has the feature enabled) could you verify that you are actually getting the longer videos? I switched my camera to record for 120 seconds but they only end up being 42 seconds long. This is NOT due to the motion verification/stop feature. Iā€™ve tried it with that feature off and on and it makes no difference for me.

@estmatic ,

Yes , I am actually getting 120-second longer recordings on my Video Doorbell 2 and on all my outdoor Plug-in Stick-up cameras. I can also playback & download the entire 120-seconds worth of the recorded videos too.

You can confirm if your settings are really set for 120-seconds:

Main menu > Devices > select camera > DEVICE SETTINGS > Video Settings and ā€œVideo Recording Lengthā€ should display ā€œ120s.ā€ If it does not, select Video Recording Length > on Max Recording Length select the ā€œxx secondsā€ time > select 120-seconds and then remember to tap ā€œSAVEā€ (upper-right-corner).

After I changed my settings to 120-seconds, I did not get the full time on the very next motion-activation, but then after that, on all subsequent motion-activations I did get the full 120-seconds. :slight_smile:

On my Video Doorbell 2, I wasnā€™t getting my full 120-seconds because my Motion Verification was ā€˜enabledā€™ and that resulted in ā€œtrimmed recordingsā€ when the triggering motion stopped. When I disabled Motion-Verification, I did indeed get full 120-second recordings that I could fully playback.

As for your weird 42-second issue that you wrote about in this thread, I am not experiencing any of these issues. I would try a Hard Reset (holding reset button for 30-seconds and then complete the set-up) to see if that clears out any possible corrupted Firmware that might be causing your ā€œBugs.ā€ This might also fix your strange ā€œSped-Upā€ playbacks too.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/bug-with-new-recording-length-options/td-p/55389/jump-to/first-unread-message

You also wrote, ā€œEvent History show up as being 1:05 ā€“ 1:07, which seems odd since they are supposedly 60 seconds.ā€ I too have noticed a few extra seconds recorded beyond my 120-second selection time (I generally get 125-seconds). But Iā€™m happy that at least it isnā€™t shorter than the set time.

As for my plug-in Stick-up cameras, the ā€œPeople Only Modeā€ should not, and does not, affect my set recording times.

I hope you find this information useful :slight_smile:

@Chaosad wrote:
Right now it seems very limited in devices such as doorbell and stickup cam battery only. What I would really love is the spotlight cams and floodlights as well as stickup cams that are powered. When will we see these?

@Chaosad ,

All my powered Plug-in Stick-up cameras DO already have the new extended Video Recording Length options.

As @Jennifer_Ring wrote in the ā€œSolved! Go to Solutionā€ post, this new feature is a slow roll out. Some locations are getting it earlier than others, and even some devices are getting it at different times. My powered Stick-up cameras received the new firmware about 5 days before this new option showed up in my doorbell.

But the Ring Teams are working to get this out to all neighbors and ALL their devices.

We just have to be patient. :slight_smile:

How do you choose the video length recording time