Video Issues on Ring Doorbell Pro

Hi - I have a new issue with my ring doorbell. When I get motion detected, I get the notification but the video is is only shown for about 8-10 seconds, then it breaks up and stops. I have reset my router and the doorbell and no joy. I am thinking my WiFi is ok as the Ring camera in my garden is working as normal, just the doorbell.

Any thoughts?

So an update to this - I think it may be a network issue but not sure how to resolve.

My ISP is showing a speed of 40mbps downstream and 8mpbs upstream - WiFi speed test gets results very close to this

My Doorbell has RSSI -39
My Spotlight cam has RSSI-43

So both similar infact, the doorbell has a better WiFi Connection. The doorbell doesn’t work but the garden cam does

I switched the doorbell to work off my mobile hotspot and it worked perfectly fine.

What to look at next??

Hi @paulcrate. I appreciate you performing those troubleshooting steps! Because you’ve connected it to a hotspot and the Doorbell works properly, it appears to be a network issue. I would follow the steps in this Help Center article on changing router channels to see if it helps. If you have tried this step and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Try changing the channel on your router if you have the ability to do so. Try and use channels 1, 6 or 11 if you can too.

Download a WiFi tool from the Apple or Play Store to your phone such as Wifi Analyzer or Netgear Wifi Analytics (I use the Netgear tool; you don’t have to have/use a Netgear router to use this).

Try and see what channels your neighbors are on and pick one of the above channels that has the least traffic. I strictly only use those 3 channels and if I’m having issues I will bounce across them depending on how many neighbors are on a given channel.

Honestly, I can’t tell you how many times just changing to a different channel has resolved issues for me over the years.

Also check your voltage under the Device Health of your DB Pro–make sure it’s getting enough juice (number should be in the green). This could be a power issue too the way you describe it.

1 Like