Video doorbell 3 and chime pro

I have my router right beside the front door and just installed my very first ring device a video doorbell 3. As this is for use at my elderly mothers house, I also bought a chime pro as using a smart phone or tablet would be beyond her. However, she will still need some kind of doorbell chime to alert her someone is at the door (I intend to monitor the video/audio aspect myself away from home).

The trouble is, the chime pro is positioned beside my mum’s chair which is 15 foot away from both the router and the front door and video doorbell.

Both the chime pro and the doorbell have excellent signal strength/connection to my wifi. Unfortunately, it appears that to use the chime pro, the doorbell has to connect to the chime pro’s wifi network.

This is where the issues start, after trying 3 times to connect the doorbell to the chime pro it finally connected, however the signal strength was appalling.

Aside from the fact it’s a complete joke a wifi extender cannot extend 15 foot through one wooden internal door and the front door to the door bell, does anyone know if the chime pro can operate purely as a chime whereby both the chime pro and the doorbell connect to my home wifi network and work that way?

If not, I’ve bought an expensive 3 pin plug that lights up lol

I am assuming the standard chime does not have these connectivity issues?

sorted it, took it upstairs and just fired up no issue working as a chime…all good

fingers crossed i never have to use it as a wifi extender

1 Like

Hello @Dazzer1975 ,

Ah, good to hear that you got it all sorted out. :smiley:

When I first read your initial posting, I was thinking that maybe it was the Wi-Fi band frequency that you were using. Although most Ring devices only operate in the 2.4 GHz band, in your case both your Ring Video Doorbell 3 and your Chime Pro are dual band capable, able to use either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz too. So, I thought maybe you had initially used the 5 GHz instead of the 2.4 GHz.

Although 5 Ghz is a faster Wi-Fi, it is very limited on range and has a poor ability to pass through stuff like walls. The 2.4 GHz is a little slower, but has a much better range and better ability to pass through objects.

Many people have both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz capabilities in their Wi-Fi modems/routers. Some routers are pre-configured to
use the same SSID (network name) and password for both bands. In other cases, some Wi-Fi routers are pre-configured to have 2 separate SSID names (one for 2.4 GHz, and a different SSID for the 5 GHz). Many routers that have a single shared SSID can be manually reconfigured from a single shared SSID into two different SSID for the bands. And then you could ‘force’ your devices to use the band of your choosing by only allowing it to log onto one band with the appropriate SSID name.

So I initially thought that maybe your Doorbell 3 and/or your Chime Pro might be using the 5 GHz band, and hence displaying a poor connection (maybe going through walls) and I was going to recommend you switch to the 2.4 GHz for better results. Also, many routers that have a single SSID for both bands automatically attempt to use whichever Wi-Fi band that provides the best Wi-Fi connection (this auto function could take several minutes for it to determine/switch bands), and that might be what occurred in your case too.

But, since you already got it sorted out, I only wrote this post to maybe be helpful to you or someone else that reads your post.

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Boone,

definitely, all info for people to read through is a help,

cheers

1 Like

I’m having similar issues , WiFi to chime using booster then to doorbell which I thought would have been great.

My internet box is in the back room so chime is in hall and then doorbell outside but chime is place in the middle of both to revive good connections

My issues are that signal strength to the chime always coming up saying poor connection but my doorbell has never said this, checked this morning when internet use is at minimum still says it but then can be fine other times.

My signal strength to chime has at best been -65 now running at -70 at time of typing

Doorbell strength at best been -51 currently -57 at time of typing.

The door in between box to chime is always open to get best connection aswell

Hello @Josh10 ,

Dang, with your Ring Chime Pro having a RSSI value between -65 to -70, I’m surprised that it is even able to maintain a reliable connection to your Router.

Check the Chime to Router connection and configure your router to use the 2.4 GHz band (longer-range band) instead of the 5 GHz band.

If you’re already using the 2.4 GHz band, you should consider moving the Chime Pro a little closer to your router to improve that connection. Of course the closer your move the Chime Pro to your Router, probably the further away the Chime will become from your Doorbell, but hopefully you can find a happy compromise location that improves the Chime Wi-Fi without too adversely affecting the Doorbell’s connection too much. It’s going to be some bit of a “trade-off” and trial-and-error, to get reliable connections .

Another potential idea it to move your router closer to the chime.

I hope you can improve your connections. :wink:

I have moved the chime into the back room next to the hallway now currently getting -67 on the doorbell and -59 on the chime so my doorbell seems best in the hall way , internet box is not blocked it’s in the open but tucked into the corner on top of my sound bar subwoofer , never had connection drops in current places only when chime was in the hallway