Very poor wifi connection

Video Doorbell 3. I installed it yesterday. It works fine with the door open, but not with it shut. My router is almost vertically above the door, about 8 feet above.

Would a WiFi extender help as I cannot move the router very far?

I am using the 5GHz connection.

Would it be better to use 2.4GHz and if so then how do I change it?

Many thanks.

Hey @viv1. I recommend definitely trying the 2.4 Ghz connection before looking into a wifi extender. Most routers will have a channel strictly for 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz, or they will have a “mesh” system that uses both. If you have two SSIDs, you will need to find out which one is 2.4 and which one is 5, and then you will connect your Ring device to the SSID for the 2.4 Ghz network. If your system has a mesh that uses both, you will reach out to your ISP for more help with creating a 2.4 Ghz channel/network with its own SSID.

Once this 2.4 Ghz network has been created and it has its own SSID, you will walk through the steps outlined here in our Help Center Article to connect the device to that network from the Device Health page. From here, see if this helps! If it does, awesome. If not, I recommend buying a Chime Pro, and seeing if having this help connect the Ring Doorbell to the router helps! Let me know how this goes. :slight_smile:

Many thanks for replying. I eventually worked out what SSID stood for, and how to change the network. I see that the signal strength using 5GHz was RSSI-79, changing to 2.4GHz the signal strength reduced to RSSI-72 so I changed the network back again. One problem with getting a ChimePro is where to plug it in as none of the power sockets in the house is in a convenient position. I will see how I get on with the current setup and get a ChimePro if I am not satisfied.

1 Like

I’m currently having this problem with a Ring 3 plus. I have Cisco WAP321 Wireless routers throughout the house, including in the hallway, 6ft from the Ring. It’s currently set to 802.11b/g/n and signal quality on any other device placed next to to the Ring all shows excellent signal strength and bandwidth (using Wifi network analyser).

The Ring is on the latest software version. I’ve heard this is an issue with the Ring 3 since buying it. Is there an official fix?

Thanks

Rob

Word of advice Dump Ring .go with another manufacturer

I ham

Not a lot of point when you have only just bought the product.

@viv1 wrote:

Video Doorbell 3. I installed it yesterday. It works fine with the door open, but not with it shut. My router is almost vertically above the door, about 8 feet above.

Would a WiFi extender help as I cannot move the router very far?

I am using the 5GHz connection.

Would it be better to use 2.4GHz and if so then how do I change it?

Many thanks.

Hello @viv1 ,

5GHz signals do NOT do well passing through obstructions, especially if your door is metal. The vertical aspect path between your router and device could also be a factor (router’s antenna typically radiates more horizontally than vertical due to the antenna design). That might be why it works fine with the door open, but not with it shut. The 2.4GHz signal will perform better when distance, signal path, or obstructions are factors.

On a follow-up post you said your RSSI values were in the 70’s . . . that’s NOT a good strength number. Also, Video requires a much higher Wi-Fi data-stream connection, and if not, you may encounter problems (slow or no “Live View” connections, Black-screen videos, etc.). A strong signal connection doesn’t necessarily mean a good data connection. In my case, even with a good RSSI (a low value of 48) signal strength number (displayed on “Device Health”), my issue was the Wi-Fi path of the Video data-stream between the router and my camera (was passing through a double-brick fireplace with a metal chain grating in front of it). This path degraded my data-stream. Since I couldn’t move my router nor camera (to improve Wi-Fi reception or path), a Wi-Fi ‘repeater’ type-device enabled me to have the signal path “go around” the brick/metal grate. Any good 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi repeater, placed about half the distance between your Router and cam should help both with your poor RSSI strength and choosing a low-density-obstruction path (or the Ring Chime Pro, which I did purchase which solved my signal-path interference issues).

As @Chelsea_Ring talked about, if you have two SSIDs, you will need to find out which one is 2.4 and which one is 5, and then you will connect your Ring device to the SSID for the 2.4 Ghz network. In my experience, Ring high-data-stream video does NOT do well competing with other Wi-Fi devices for bandwidth of 2.4GHz. Since my router is both Wi-Fi 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz, I moved as many of my other devices (that were 5GHz capable) to only use the 5GHz band, thereby reducing the competition for the Ring Cams. I reconfigured my dual-band router’s into two separate SSID log-in names. I named the 2.4GHz band to “2WireXXX” and named the 5GHZ band “2WireXXX 5G” leaving both with the same password. Then my other Wi-Fi devices that could use 5GHz, I used “forget this network” and then logged them onto only the “2WireXXX 5G”.

You might want to look into modifying your 2.4GHz Channel Selection too, to minimize interference issues created by neighbor’s routers or signal-generating devices in your home (microwaves, electric motors, etc.). In the router’s default “Auto” mode, routers often pick a mainly from commonly-used channels in Auto Mode (Ch 1, Ch 6, Ch 11). But accessing my router’s configuration through my PC browser and using a downloaded App on my Window’s PC (Wifi Analyzer and Scanner), I configure my router not to use its Auto Channel Selection Mode, and rather stay on the 2.4GHz channel of my choice . There are 11 channels (1 thru 11) to choose from. In my case, I found that Ch 4, which is in between the typically used channels, gave me the strongest signal and lowest interference, according to the Analyzer App. This channel did reduce the Wi-Fi interference I was getting from my neighbor’s routers. I also did noticed an improvement on my Ring cameras connection speed too.

If you still have issues, re-post here (someone might have another solution), or try searching through the Ring On-line Support, such as:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023439472-Fixing-Black-Video-Errors-by-Adjusting-Your-…

Or you can call Ring Support by telephone:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

I hope this helps you and @The_Digital_Platypus . :slight_smile:

2 Likes