Unreasonable Customer Service

I’ve been using the Ring alarm system with the professional monitoring service for a couple of years, and bought additional sensors recently.
One of the sensors is a montion sensor and it seems to be defective - the motion sensing coverage is very narrow, around 30 degrees, and I’ve tried the troubleshooting suggestions found on the Ring app & website (resetting the device, removing & re-registering the device, etc) several times but it made no differences.

So I called the Ring community support team to get it replaced, but it appears none of the troubleshooting I’ve done matters.
I explained to the customer service rep what I had done to troubleshoot in detail, but the rep said I’d have to do all the troubleshooting again with him, even if they’re exactly the same troubleshooting methods.

I have multiple properties and am away from the property that has the Ring system, but took the defective motion sensor with me so I could send it back for a replacement.

Unless Ring thinks the customers are not intelligent enough to follow the troubleshooting instructions Ring provides, this is quite ridiculous.

Dealing with a defective product is already inconvenient enough.

I do understand why Ring would want to make sure all the necessary troubleshooting gets done prior to replacing a product, but having to repeat the same troubleshooting process all over again is unreasonable and unnecessary.

How do you think I was able to measure the motion sensor coverage angle?

I’ve tried above and beyond what Ring instructed for troubleshooting.

Avoid buying anything from Ring directly - buy it from Costco or Amazon.

Community manager -

Why has my post moved to the product / general questions section?

I’ve read MANY posts about bad customer services in the Welcome to the Ring community / Ring Community section where I wrote my post to.

I wanted the Ring community members to read my experience and buy from “other” sources to minimize the headache and inconveniences.

How’s my post related to “products / general quetions”?

Please explain.

@kaliluv wrote:

Community manager -

Why has my post moved to the product / general questions section?

I’ve read MANY posts about bad customer services in the Welcome to the Ring community / Ring Community section where I wrote my post to.

I wanted the Ring community members to read my experience and buy from “other” sources to minimize the headache and inconveniences.

How’s my post related to “products / general quetions”?

Please explain.

It’s not its right above this one. I expect it had to go through a spam filter before it appeared

We appreciate you sharing your experience, and for your efforts spent to get this resolved, @kaliluv. We want to ensure you have the best experience with Ring. Our support team is trained to provide the proper solution efficiently and securely. As we value our neighbors’ time, when looking for a device replacement, our support team will first test several troubleshooting steps. This will be to ensure a replacement is necessary, so that you are not waiting for a replacement that may not resolve all concerns. That being said, our team should certainly value your efforts and input, for the most efficient experience.

I’ve shared your feedback and concerns with the appropriate teams here, who should be getting in touch with you shortly. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

In regards to your post being moved, the Community is a peer to peer forum for neighbors to share ideas, advice, and feedback. As we are always working to improve the Community, you might see us organizing things much more now, and it’s possible that some boards might have posts that do not belong. Feel free to help other neighbors if you see they are posting in the wrong board. You will see that many boards have a description, in which general questions is most closely related to support inquiries. The next best place for this would be the Alarm board. Nevertheless, we are here to help if you have any further questions, or need any further assistance.

I agree!! I bought product from them and got a Return Authorization, shipped it back, and now after 20 day still get a refund!!

Hey @edun. If you’ve been waiting for a refund on a product after returning it back and it’s been more than 7-14 business days, it’s best to follow up with our support team to see if they can check in on the status of your refund. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.