Two separate accounts

My wife got the ring door bell but won’t let me have access to it. I see I can make my own login name etc. when I downloaded the app. can I continue and add the same device onto my own person account or would that mess up what she has on hers for it?

@Congojoea wrote:
My wife got the ring door bell but won’t let me have access to it. I see I can make my own login name etc. when I downloaded the app. can I continue and add the same device onto my own person account or would that mess up what she has on hers for it?

Hello @Congojoea ,

Anybody can make their own Ring account using their personal email, even if you do not own a Ring device. As for your question, “can I continue and add the same device [wife’s doorbell] onto my own person account”, no you cannot add it to your account because your spouse already has “Ownership” of the device. Even if you tired, the Ring App won’t let you.

Once a device has been set up on an account, the device is “owned” by that specific Ring email account and “Ownership” cannot be transferred without the Owner’s permission. Ownership is also what makes your stolen Ring Doorbell or Camera useless to a thief, since they will not be able to setup it up.

More detailed “Ownership” information:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025997592-Ownership-of-a-Ring-Device

In order for you to have full access to the Ring Video Doorbell, or other Ring devices, you have to log into Ring using the Owner’s email/password. Multiple Ring Apps can be simultaneously opened using the same email/password Ring account, but if it is the Owner’s email, then every Ring App using that email will have full control of all the settings too.

Another way you can have access to RIng devices is by becoming a “Shared User.” The Owners can use their Ring App to “invite” another to gain limited access as a Shared User. The Owner just needs the other person’s Ring email address that they use. That person would then receive an email with an Invitation link. The Shared User can log onto the Ring App with their personal Ring email, and this way the Owner maintains full control of the settings and doesn’t have to give up their Ring login information. Owners that own multiple Ring devices can also add or remove access to each device, or even totally revoke “User” access, whenever they want.

For an Owner to add someone as a Shared User:

• Open the Device Settings page in the Owner’s Ring App for one of the Ring devices.
  • Tap Shared Users.
  • Tap Add User (the “+” sign Icon).
  • Enter the email address of the person you want to add as a Shared User.
  • Select the devices you want to share with this person.
  • Tap Send Invite.

More detailed User information:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005072983-Controlling-the-Ring-Alarm-With-Users-and-Roles

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029632312-Giving-Employees-Shared-User-and-Guest-User-Access

So if your wife wants to, she can send you a “Shared User” invite. I hope this information is helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Shared Access invite steps sound straight forward and simple…if it worked.

I have been using the app in my phone for 6 months and only realized today that I was the only person getting the Ring alerts.
I resent the Shared User invite to my wife (also activated the slider button to share the doorbell device). She already has the Ring app installed on her phone

• She used the invite to create a personal Ring account and app shows that she is logged in. The app does not list any devices despite accepting my invite.
  • My phone’s Ring app still shows that she has not accepted the invite so we logged he out at her app and logged back in. No change.
  • I deleted her Shared User instance and repeated the whole process…same result

Is my account and setup corrupt in some way? I cannot find anything in community board or Internet that addresses this. This should be a brain dead simple process for any level of user

2 Likes

Did you ever get a response about your trouble you had adding your wife as a shared user? I’m having the exact same problem

Did anyone get a response about the shared user link not working as mine is not letting me gain access to the doorbell my husband is the owner of even though he’s sent me links to be a shared user.

Hi @Killian312. If the suggestions previously offered in this thread don’t do the trick for you, then I’d recommend touching base with our support team so they can take a deeper look and help get this resolved. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I don’t have time to call your 800 number. I work. Please explain my there is no device to access when my husband shares the invite with me. It is clearly a problem for other people, and I imagine you have an answer.

Any results? My husband is ready to take a hammer to our Ring.

Did you ever find a solution? I don’t have the time or energy to navigate their 800 number.

Did anyone get a response on this issue? I am having the same problem with my shared users and have not found anything helpful anywhere.

After you send the link via email, check your spam folder. I use Gmail and whenever I have Ring send me an email, it only shows up in my spam inbox. It will NOT show up in your regular inbox. If you don’t see it in your spam folder, check the other inboxes if there is any. If you use Gmail, there is also an inbox folder called “all mail”. Again, check your spam folder first because emails from Ring go straight to your spam inbox by default and you’ll never see it unless you go and open the spam folder. This should solve your problem.

2 Likes

I am having the exact same problem as others are describing. I am a Ring owner for the Ring system at my house. My daughter set up a Ring at her house and is trying to give me shared access. I am receiving her email invitations. I am following the instructions to add myself as a shared user but I don’t see any of her devices. I don’t see a resolution in the responses. Has anyone solved this issue yet?

Did anyone ever get a solution to this besides calling a phone number? We’re having the same issue. The link in the email doesn’t really work. It just goes to a page that shows no shared locations.

1 Like

Hi @ARingerNaybor. If you are having issue adding a Shared User, follow these steps to see if they help with your concern:

• Have the Shared User delete all email invitations from Ring.

• Have the Owner of the Ring account delete all Shared User invitations from the Ring app.

• Make sure that you have the latest version of the Ring app installed on your phones, as well as the latest OS for your phone and then reboot your phone.

• Have the Owner follow the steps for adding a Shared User (Help Center article here).

• Have the Shared user check their email and follow the onscreen prompts.

If this doesn’t work, repeat the process on a laptop or tablet. Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

I think we may have had a similar issue when trying to add someone to the account but when they made their own account it made them a home. In order to see the home that was shared with them they had to click on the corresponding home after accepting the invitation. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @meganmcfegan. Great call out there! This Help Center article here also has information on managing your Locations in the Ring app. I hope this helps!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Multiple owners at a location?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.