Two Factor (Multi-Factor) Authentication

This is one of Ring’s update which actually did downgrade of the features. Before, I was able to select “Email” for two factor verification. I was able to get the code via email. Ring removed that option and only text message option is available to receive the code. Many people including myself cannot carry their phones to where they work for reasons. In that case, there’s no way that one can monitor their house. It says to call the customer service to receive a code or to get help. I did numerous times but only response that I get is I can’t log in w/o a phone. That’s a bizarre. Not sure why they removed “email” option telling that’s unsecure? Which one is more unsecure… getting the code via email or not being able to monitor their house? Not sure what they were thinking when they updated or upgraded their features… this is actually downgraded feature…

Hey @ChocoMom. Over the past year we have been making various efforts to ensure our neighbor’s safety when using their Ring products and services. In an effort to stay in line with industry’s best practices, Ring is phasing out email as a method of account verification as a part of Two-Step Verification, and the options that neighbors have now to log in are the SMS or an Authenticator App. If you are unable to use SMS verification, we recommend using an Authenticator App, which can be installed on a mobile device, PC, or laptop.

I log in to my Ring account using a web based password manager that supports TOTP.

1 Like

ChocoMom -

Ring’s current implementation of 2FA is definitely a downgrade. In fact, anyone who is familiar with 2FA methods can presumably list a number of objections/problems associated with Ring’s 2FA strategies.

Marley_Ring -

Obviously, the problems cited by the OP have NOT been solved.

Ring is insisting on LOWERING the privacy/security of customers by forcing an undesirable, sub-standard 2FA implementation on them, as well as trying to ensure that customers have no recourse despite the SERIOUS privacy/security issues involved.

Hey @Frustrated427. We have marked Marley’s post as the solution to the topic so that other neighbors that come into this topic will know the reality of this situation while having the proper resources and information to be able to change their Two-Step Verification to other methods that are available, such as using an Authenticator App. Solutions in the Community pop up first when searched, so this will help neighbors looking for the information find the correct information.

We appreciate your feedback greatly in regards to this and will ensure that it is passed onto the appropriate teams. If you are having any concerns with your privacy or safety of your account, we encourage you to contact our support team directly so that they can help you get in touch with our Safety and Security team who can take a look into your concerns further for your personal situation. Thank you.