Transformer shutting off after 4 hours

As I was typing this post, I was able to determine the root cause to my issue…and I was able to resolve it. However, in an effort to help others I’m going to go ahead and post.

Each Ring light has a setting that is enabled by default…that you can ONLY access when you turn a light on. When I turn on my spotlight, it is defaulted to automatically turn off the spotlight after 1 minute. The only way to see this setting is to turn on the light and a pop-up will show at the bottom of the screen for a couple seconds. Only with this pop-up can you change the setting. With the spotlight, I can choose 1, 5, 10, or 15 minutes.

The same pop-up applies to the transformer. With the transformer, you have different options - 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, or ‘Until I turn them off’. Apparently, the device is defaulted to 4 hours. Again, the ONLY way to change this setting is to turn on the lights in the app and use the pop-up to EDIT the setting.

I would show some screenshots of this, but the Ring website is not allowing me to upload photos. It appears to be a defect with the website.

It is frustrating that the lights are defaulted to these settings and there’s no intuitive way to see this. THIS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN THE DEVICE SETTINGS. I am controlling the transformer with a light schedule outside of the Ring app. I’m sure if you schedule the transformer using the Ring app, it will adhere to the schedule. However, if you control the transformer using another system…it will treat the device like you manually turned on the light and turn it off after 4 hours by default.

Hopefully this helps!

Hi @TampaMike. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and helpful tips regarding the Transformer and the light settings. We do value the feedback we get regarding our devices and the features available in the Ring app, so we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this suggestion and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. You’re also welcome to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature and add their votes. :slight_smile:

I had this issue too. TampaMike is right, please add a dropdown or other control in the transformer settings section clearly indicating the shutoff timer setting.