Support of Modes via Alexa Ring Skill without Ring Alarm

Please add the capability to the Alexa Ring Skill to be able to change modes without requiring Ring Alarm. I own a number of Ring Cameras (Indoor and outdoor) as well as Doorbell Pro. I use modes in the Ring App to change to away/home/disarmed. I do not have Ring Alarm. However, there is no way to be able to have Alexa change the mode of my Ring System (since I do not have Ring Alarm). Also, there should be a away to add an Alexa Routine action targeting the Ring System (without Ring Alarm) and allow routines to change modes. This would be specially helpful such as when a routine is triggered upon Guard Activation to switch the Ring mode to Away, etc… Such an action cannot be against a single Smart Home Device Camera, etc… it must be addressed against something central like a Device representing the Ring Account, etc… (I suppose similar to Ring Alarm - but when Ring Alarm is not used by customer). Thank you.

5 Likes

Agreed, this feature is a must, otherwise the alexa skill is essentially useless to a lot of Ring users.

2 Likes

Please look at implementing this some of us have no option to get the ring alarm due to not being in america so having to change the ring mode manually in the app every time you want to change it is painful, would be awesome to allow it in alexa or some other method.

1 Like

Please can you modify to do this as i keep disarming my ring cameras as the dogs set them off in the garden and forgetting to re arm them at night alexa could do that as a routine for me at a set time if i forget thanks

2 Likes

I too do not have the Ring Alarm, but use the Camera Modes throughout the day. Like another member noted above, I disarm when home because of frequent notifications, as it is very difficult to adjust sensitivity of camera sensors. I would like to automate arm and disarm using Alexa routines, as I frequently forget to arm at night. Another usefull feature would be the ability to automate Camera Modes arm and disarm in the Ring app, using perhaps a daily schedule.

The current inability to automate completely negates the value of having Ring cameras at all. Integrating Ring Camera Modes with Alexa and/or providing arm or disarm schedule within the app is a must to ensure the security we expect when we purchase Ring products.

2 Likes

Any updates on this its super annoying having smart devices that ring you to open the ring app to change modes in thr app. Automating through the alexa skill will be enormously more helpful

Massively agreed, I’d say it’s a major disappointment that Alexa can’t switch between the modes of my two cameras. I won’t be adding to my camera coverage unless I see this is happening.

Yep it makes the whole mode thing in the app useless. Australia doesn’t get rung alarm system and alexa can’t change the modes as a result. So only way to change modes is pull out your phone and open the app and change it. Which is painful when there is 5 people in the house coming and going.

Really hope ring alarm comes or they unblock the option to arm/disarm ring mode with alexa skill

I agree this is a desirable action. I currently have Alexa linked to SmartThings and Ring. I have a home security system so I do not need Ring Alarm.
The fact that Ring Alarm already has this capability and Ring does not, does not make sense.

Bump to try and get some love outside of American , hopefully this is just a feature that can be enabled with a software/skill change.

It would make sense to enable this feature without the need for a ring alarm. I could simply say “alexa, I’m leaving” to enable away mode and “alexa, I’m home” to enable home mode. When you’re leaving/returning hands are full, can’t always get to the phone to change mode and this would enable users to simply use voice feature to ensure the home is protected sufficiently

1 Like

yep it must be that they want to encourage users to buy the ring alarm system to enable it, but when they don’t seem to sell it much outside of america it makes it kind of annoying. trying to decide if its worthwhile investing in ring cameras for security if some of these types just don’t work well outside of america.

Definitely needed. I have to open the ring app every time in leave the house to arm certain cameras that shouldn’t be on when we’re in. To be able to ask Alexa to arm whilst walking out of the door would be ideal.

I agree that this is a needed skill. I would like to be able to change modes on my ring camera using Alexa.

I’ve got a Ring Doorbell, plus 3 indoor cams. In Home mode, the Doorbell is active, the cams are off. In Away mode everything is active. I’ve got a Alexa routine that will set Alexa into Guard mode (non-paid version), and set my Honeywell alarm system (Total Connect) into Away mode all with one voice command. It’s frustrating that I can’t change the Ring mode to Away at the same time.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m looking for.
Please add the ability to set the Ring App to Away/Home mode via Alexa.
Thanks, Richie…

Yes, please add this. It seems there is little consideration for users outside of the US where the Ring Alarm is not available. For us, our cameras and doorbells are our alarms, and it is important that it is as easy to change modes as possible so that Al members of the household can use it. Please also consider the ability to schedule modes without Alexa being involved.

Agreed, this would be an extremely helpful thing to have. I would want to have an Alexa routine set up to be able to toggle by Ring mode between home and away for certain days and times. Having to remember to do it manually via the app is both annoying and troublesome.

This should be a very basic function on the Ring system. I have Alexa devices throughout my house and oftentimes forget to arm the system at night before bed. I do not want to go walk where my phone is and arm the system. Why cannot it just be as simple as “Alexa…Arm the Ring Sysytem”

I’m not sure why ring makes things such as this which seem like a no brainer to the end user so difficult. My old Amazon cloud cams were much more user friendly and turned on and off based on my phone location. Really don’t want to switch from ring and Alexa based smart home but have been thinking about it lately with my next move coming up.